Newbies First nas build

Tbmw

Hello

First post so please forgive if its in the wrong place

I'm looking to build my first nas as i've been adding hd's to my normal pc for storage and i'm now out of space for anymore hd's so figured i'd go specific build which would also give me some backup.

It's going to mainly used as storage and as a plex server with 4 users on the network and 2 from outside the home network, i'm trying to do it on the cheap for now and add better equipment piece by piece, with that in mind i was hoping to get some advice on the following parts

Intel Core i3 9100F 3.6GHz Socket 1151 Processor

ASRock H310CM-HDV LGA 1151 DDR4 mATX Motherboard

EVGA 550w B3 PSU 80+ Bronze Fully Modular Power Supply

I already have a logic case sc34390 case for all of it to fit into so then its just sdd's and hdd's to suit

Thanks in advance for any advise you can give it'll be greatly appreciated

Tony

2 hours ago, Tbmw said:

It's going to mainly used as storage and as a plex server with 4 users on the network and 2 from outside the home network, i'm trying to do it on the cheap for now and add better equipment piece by piece, with that in mind i was hoping to get some advice on the following parts

Intel Core i3 9100F 3.6GHz Socket 1151 Processor

ASRock H310CM-HDV LGA 1151 DDR4 mATX Motherboard

EVGA 550w B3 PSU 80+ Bronze Fully Modular Power Supply

I think the i3 is going to be a bit of a weak link for plex. unRaid will be fine on it, but it's not going to handle 6 streams on its own if they need to be transcoded (the 2 outside ones more than likely will need transcoding). Looking it up, it does not have an iGPU. So you are either going to need a graphics card or get a different cpu. Get something with an iGPU and use that for transcoding if you really want to keep the costs down. The non-F version has an iGPU and should be able to handle a few streams. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134870/intel-core-i3-9100-processor-6m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

Also, make sure that you get a SSD Cache Pool

I really tought I did not need it
Until I started to use the raid, believe me, the write speed are way better with the cache pool
And you just need a SATA port + a 25 Dollars SSD
And if you have movies, you will be thankfull 
The ingest will be like 5 times faster

1 hour ago, midguet12 said:

Also, make sure that you get a SSD Cache Pool

I really tought I did not need it
Until I started to use the raid, believe me, the write speed are way better with the cache pool
And you just need a SATA port + a 25 Dollars SSD
And if you have movies, you will be thankfull 
The ingest will be like 5 times faster

An SSD is not a hard requirement, but I agree it is a nice to have. It does sort of become a requirement if you want to run dockers. I guess you could get away with a 10K RPM drive, but I think the cost of the SSD would be a lot cheaper. Also, I'd recommend using a unassigned device to down your "Linux ISOs" to, then have the application move them to the array when they are unzipped. 

• Thanks 1