Disk is unmountable: no filesystem

So last night I logged into my server to see that there was an error with one of my disks and now it is telling me it has no filesystem and is unmountable. Unfortunately when I saw the error I restarted hoping to fix the problem, so my log file for that drive is empty. All of my docker containers are gone as well and I'm not really sure what to do since I am very new to Unraid. Any suggestions?

unraid-diagnostics-20200220-1033.zip

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Disk1 is failing, you don't have parity so not possible to do a rebuild, xfs_repair won't normally repair a disk with bad sectors, you can clone with with ddrescue, then run xfs_repair to copy everything you can from it.

P.S. array devices using USB is not recommend.

Yeah it's definitely not an ideal setup at all. I have to get a drive to be able to clone to and give it a try. Would this potentially fix my docker containers as well?

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Likely if the Appdata folder is recovered without corruption, you should have a backup of that, look for the CA appdata backup plugin, the docker image itself can be easily recreated.

Alright once I try ddrescue, hopefully it works, then I will make sure to set that up along with a parity drive

On 2/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, johnnie.black said:

Disk1 is failing, you don't have parity so not possible to do a rebuild, xfs_repair won't normally repair a disk with bad sectors, you can clone with with ddrescue, then run xfs_repair to copy everything you can from it.

P.S. array devices using USB is not recommend.

Hey I just had a followup question. So I bought a 2tb internal drive to copy the data from the failed 1.5tb external drive and i ran ddrescue. Seemingly it went well. I want to unassign the 1.5tb drive and add the 2tb one in it's place, will Unraid clear it before making it usable? Or will it just add it so i can see if the copied data was successful?

7 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Any drive normally added to Unraid will be either rebuilt (if replacing another one) or cleared (if added to a new slot), so any data there will be deleted, not clear to me if that's what you want, to keep the existing data on an added drive you'd need to no a new config and re-sync parity.

No I would definitely not like for it to be cleared since it was the destination for my ddrescue operation. How am I supposed to get the data from it then?

16 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You don't need dockers, you can use midnight commander (mc on the console)

Ahh I did not know that, I'm very new to Unraid. I'm trying it now, I'm going to move the stuff to an external drive, add the new 2tb drive to the array, and then transfer everything back to the new 2tb drive 

On 2/20/2020 at 12:00 PM, Aeonofgods said:

Alright once I try ddrescue, hopefully it works, then I will make sure to set that up along with a parity drive

So did you ever setup a parity drive? Some of the discussion after that really only applies if you have a parity drive. For example, your very next post, and the response it got:

11 hours ago, Aeonofgods said:

Hey I just had a followup question. So I bought a 2tb internal drive to copy the data from the failed 1.5tb external drive and i ran ddrescue. Seemingly it went well. I want to unassign the 1.5tb drive and add the 2tb one in it's place, will Unraid clear it before making it usable? Or will it just add it so i can see if the copied data was successful?

8 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Any drive normally added to Unraid will be either rebuilt (if replacing another one) or cleared (if added to a new slot), so any data there will be deleted, not clear to me if that's what you want, to keep the existing data on an added drive you'd need to no a new config and re-sync parity.

None of that makes any sense unless you do actually have parity.

Also, are you still trying to use USB for any of your array (or cache) disks? The unreliability of USB connections pretty much defeats the purpose of having parity. In fact, USB in an array with parity will likely result in constant rebuilds.

16 minutes ago, trurl said:

So did you ever setup a parity drive? Some of the discussion after that really only applies if you have a parity drive. For example, your very next post, and the response it got:

None of that makes any sense unless you do actually have parity.

Also, are you still trying to use USB for any of your array (or cache) disks? The unreliability of USB connections pretty much defeats the purpose of having parity. In fact, USB in an array with parity will likely result in constant rebuilds.

Sorry I will try to clarify. I did not have a parity drive when all of this happened. My 1.5tb external drive failed so I bought a 2tb internal drive to replace it. I used ddrescue to transfer whatever I could from the 1.5tb to the 2tb drives. Now in my array I need to add the 2tb drive, but Unraid will clear it of any data before adding I'm assuming. Since there's no parity drive, there's nothing to rebuild. So I'm moving whatever data that was recovered to yet another external drive, separate from the failed one, so that I can add the 2tb into the array and then transfer the data back on to it. After that I will be adding the 12tb drive I bought for parity. Overall its a very convoluted problem that I could have avoided with having a parity drive. After all of this there will be no more usb drives in the array

Edited by Aeonofgods
Clarification
8 minutes ago, trurl said:

I don't think Unraid will clear a disk unless there is parity. There certainly is no reason for it to do so since the whole point of clearing a disk is so parity will remain valid.

Since I do not have a parity drive and there's no rebuild process, how do I get past this? It won't let me start the array with the new one nor assigning no device to that slot

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 10.52.57 AM.png