Disk is unmountable: no filesystem

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Preclear doesn't format a disk, and neither does UD unless you tell it to. After a preclear a disk can't be XFS or any other filesystem

Ahh well I'm an idiot, so what do I do now? Do I start a new config without the new drive, mount it, and move everything from it using Midnight Commander to an external, format it, then put everything back on?

Yep:

Feb 19 18:48:59 Unraid kernel: XFS (md1): metadata I/O error in "xlog_bread_noalign" at daddr 0x575e237d len 1 error 5
Feb 19 18:48:59 Unraid kernel: XFS (md1): failed to find log head
Feb 19 18:48:59 Unraid kernel: XFS (md1): log mount/recovery failed: error -5
Feb 19 18:48:59 Unraid kernel: XFS (md1): log mount failed

But now you're seeing an unsupported partition layout error, this is likely the result of the source disk being USB, that or ddrescue failed to copy the complete mbr because of bad sectors..

Best bet here would be to add a parity disk, let it sync, then disable disk1, Unraid will recreate the partition for the emulated disk, then it might still need xfs_repair, but it also might mount immediately.

1 hour ago, Aeonofgods said:

Sorry I will try to clarify. I did not have a parity drive when all of this happened. My 1.5tb external drive failed so I bought a 2tb internal drive to replace it. I used ddrescue to transfer whatever I could from the 1.5tb to the 2tb drives. Now in my array I need to add the 2tb drive, but Unraid will clear it of any data before adding I'm assuming. Since there's no parity drive, there's nothing to rebuild. So I'm moving whatever data that was recovered to yet another external drive, separate from the failed one, so that I can add the 2tb into the array and then transfer the data back on to it. After that I will be adding the 12tb drive I bought for parity. Overall its a very convoluted problem that I could have avoided with having a parity drive. After all of this there will be no more usb drives in the array

So where exactly does preclear fit into this narrative?

18 minutes ago, Aeonofgods said:

Yeah UD said XFS after I precleared it 

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Alternately, and likely a better idea, try to mount the disk outside the array with UD, UD doesn't care about the correct partition layout.

Yeah that seems to be the case. I'll mount it, pull what I need, format it, and then add it to the array

1 minute ago, trurl said:

So where exactly does preclear fit into this narrative?

When my original drive failed I bought this 2tb drive. From all that I read it seemed as though I needed to preclear the new drive before I did anything with it. Originally it was NTFS but after the preclear UD said it was xfs (and still does).

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 11.51.57 AM.png

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

My 1.5tb external drive failed so I bought a 2tb internal drive to replace it.

I missed this part before, in this case it's normal for Unraid to complain about the partition, since the now 2TB disk has a 1.5TB partition, and Unraid requires a single partition using the entire disk, but like mentioned UD won't mind.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

You need to copy the data on that disk elsewhere, using e.g. UD, then you can add the disk to the array and have Unraid re-format it.

Ahh ok that makes sense, alright I'll move it over. I'm just hoping my docker containers/settings can come out of all of this mostly unscathed