Intel Xeon E-2278G finally available!

1 hour ago, binhex said:

Surely the AMD 3900x though is cheaper and has more cores and faster clock speed, not sure why you would buy this over AMD?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes, 3900X is cheaper and has more cores.  I was actually considering that option; however, I am buying the Intel because it has a built-in iGPU that works for Plex/Handbrake transcoding.  The AMD option means I need a discrete GPU and the Nvidia unRAID plugin/special unRAID build. 

I ended up with the E-2288G which has a 3.7 GHz base clock which is comparable to the 3900X although that is not a huge concern to me. 

I would go AMD in a heartbeat if they had decent APUs with something more than 4-core processors and if they were fully supported by Plex (some claim they can get AMD iGPUs working in Plex).

There are also more server motherboards for Intel Xeon that support IPMI.  I have found only one Ryzen MB with IPMI (ASRock Rack X470D4U).

This is likely my last Intel CPU purchase.  By the time I am ready for another upgrade, hopefully, the issues holding me back from going AMD this time will be moot.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

It appears the dam has finally burst!  These processors have been hard to find in retail channels and when available were expensive and in limited quantities.

As of today, Provantage has 58 Intel Xeon E-2278G processors in stock.

https://www.provantage.com/intel-cm8068404225303~7ITEP6KU.htm

image.thumb.png.9bf287eea533720eaeab98f850f4a89b.png

Still no restock of the E-2288G, but hopefully it’ll be back soon. Their prices are the lowest for all of these Intel Xeon processors.

Yes, 3900X is cheaper and has more cores.  I was actually considering that option; however, I am buying the Intel because it has a built-in iGPU that works for Plex/Handbrake transcoding.  The AMD option means I need a discrete GPU and the Nvidia unRAID plugin/special unRAID build. 

I ended up with the E-2288G which has a 3.7 GHz base clock which is comparable to the 3900X although that is not a huge concern to me. 

I would go AMD in a heartbeat if they had decent APUs with something more than 4-core processors and if they were fully supported by Plex (some claim they can get AMD iGPUs working in Plex).

There are also more server motherboards for Intel Xeon that support IPMI.  I have found only one Ryzen MB with IPMI (ASRock Rack X470D4U).

This is likely my last Intel CPU purchase.  By the time I am ready for another upgrade, hopefully, the issues holding me back from going AMD this time will be moot.
Ipmi and igpu, that makes sense, out of curiosity, do you happen to know what is the number of concurrent 1080p streams you can get with this igpu?

8 minutes ago, binhex said:

Ipmi and igpu, that makes sense, out of curiosity, do you happen to know what is the number of concurrent 1080p streams you can get with this igpu?

My current CPU is a 4-core/8-thread Xeon E3-1245 V5 (Skylake).  I have had up to five Plex hw transcodes going with this CPU.  With these 5, the CPU remained well under 50% utilization.  There was plenty of room for more.  I saw posted in another forum that a similar Xeon CPU had achieved 10-12 simultaneous hw transcodes.  The passmark score of this CPU (~10400) would allow 4 CPU/software transcodes

The E-2288G has 8 cores and 16 threads and has a ~20000 passmark score for 9 1080p sw/CPU transcodes.  I won't know what the iGPU can do until next week.

1 hour ago, Burizado said:

Is the only difference between the E-2278G and E-2288G the clock speed from 3.4 GHz to 3.7 GHz?

Yes, that is the only difference and the increase in TDP from 80W to 95W because of the higher base clock.  Frankly, had I not got the E-2288G in a bundle with the MB and RAM, I would have purchased the E-2278G instead. 

There is really no great advantage in either Plex or unRAID with the higher base clock unless you are running a docker container or VM in which the higher clock speed makes a noticeable difference.

• 2 months later...