Unraid on UPS (USB) and apcupsd on VM for shutdown. How get this to work?

knutarn

Set Unraid to shutdown after 5 minutes (300 seconds) on battery, set the VM to shutdown after 4 minutes (TIMEOUT 240) on battery.

You want your system completely shut down as soon as it is clear the power is not coming back, typically if the power is out more than 1 minute, it's going to be out WAY longer than your UPS can handle. The last thing you want is to drain the batteries, you want to reserve as much battery as possible.

17 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Set Unraid to shutdown after 5 minutes (300 seconds) on battery, set the VM to shutdown after 4 minutes (TIMEOUT 240) on battery.

You want your system completely shut down as soon as it is clear the power is not coming back, typically if the power is out more than 1 minute, it's going to be out WAY longer than your UPS can handle. The last thing you want is to drain the batteries, you want to reserve as much battery as possible.

Thx! :) How do I " set the VM to shutdown after 4 minutes (TIMEOUT 240) on battery." ? Cant find any settings on this program for it, just info fraom UPS:/

Caveat:  You're running windows, and there's a million reasons why Windows won't shutdown (open dialog window or a document needs to be saved), or will automatically install updates when shutting down.  And then unRaid will basically yank the power from the VM if it excedes it's timer to shutdown (I believe the default it allows a VM to shutdown gracefully is 60seconds)

Easier solution is to forget about installing apcupsd on the VM, and rather install the VM client tools that's on the virtio iso, and then set unRaid to hibernate the VMs when it shuts itself down.

52 minutes ago, Squid said:

Caveat:  You're running windows, and there's a million reasons why Windows won't shutdown (open dialog window or a document needs to be saved), or will automatically install updates when shutting down.  And then unRaid will basically yank the power from the VM if it excedes it's timer to shutdown (I believe the default it allows a VM to shutdown gracefully is 60seconds)

Easier solution is to forget about installing apcupsd on the VM, and rather install the VM client tools that's on the virtio iso, and then set unRaid to hibernate the VMs when it shuts itself down.

Yes, I drive HS3 and this app is very slow to shutdown. So i need more time for VM to shutdown. or my DB be lost.

How do I can get more time for VM to shutdown? Or wait to it shutdowan or if time get over 5-10 min, it can kill the VM for shutdown the unraid server :)

Are you trying to do what I'm suggesting, because you keep quoting me, but your posting implies that you're attempting to work with @jonathanm  Very confusing on my part

For the immediate question, have you clicked the link there yet?  It'll take you directly to where you need to be.

If you're attempting to do what I'm suggesting, then you've completely missed the point of what I'm suggesting.  If you're attempting to do what @jonathanm is suggesting, then stop quoting me...

4 hours ago, Squid said:

Are you trying to do what I'm suggesting, because you keep quoting me, but your posting implies that you're attempting to work with @jonathanm  Very confusing on my part

For the immediate question, have you clicked the link there yet?  It'll take you directly to where you need to be.

If you're attempting to do what I'm suggesting, then you've completely missed the point of what I'm suggesting.  If you're attempting to do what @jonathanm is suggesting, then stop quoting me...

Hello again. I misunderstood I then, thought that's what you meant. My English is not as good as it should be.

How I can do this: "set unRaid to hibernate the VMs when it shuts itself down." Any guide on this here?