Drive Replacement - larger to smaller [Solved]

Hi, I have a 4TB drive in my "Backup Server" that is reporting lots of problems.  Looking at it via my Mac it only has ~ 34 GB of "duplicate" trash (per it's folder) and a docker.img (? what docker as none are installed in the Backup Server).  I have a "spare" 2TB drive.  Can this be installed as a replacement to the 4TB drive w/o causing a problem for the System?

Thanks in advance!

Archivist

Edited by Archivist
1 hour ago, Archivist said:

I have a "spare" 2TB drive.  Can this be installed as a replacement to the 4TB drive w/o causing a problem for the System?

No. You can't "shrink" an already occupied data slot. Parity doesn't have any concept of data, or how full or empty a drive happens to be.

If you want a better evaluation of what your best options are, I'd advise attaching the diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread.

CRC errors are a connection problem, most times the SATA cable, but it can also be the controller, especially since you're using an old SIL controller and some of those are known to be unreliable, even corrupt data in some cases, start by replacing the SATA cable, and note that the attribute doesn't reset, so as long as it doesn't keep increasing the problem is solved.

As an Alternative since my Backup Server is difficult to access, is there a way to "move" all data from the suspect hard drive to another drive then remove/delete that drive from the Array?  If I delete the suspect drive after moving any data, I think I would then have to rebuild Parity.

Thoughts or ideas appreciated.

Archivist

I was able to get to the cable/card and suspect the card is the problem as part of 1 connection tab is broken.  I did re-seat the cable and got the following result after rebooting/restarting the array and let it run over night. See diagnostic.  I know the card is suspect, doesn't it still indicate a problem with the drive.  If I need to upgrade the card, I might think seriously about upgrading the MB etc as it is a very old relic.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and thoughts.

Dave

backup-server-diagnostics-20200225-0803.zip