Need help with Sound Card - Newbie

thogarth

I created a VM with windows 10 and it is working fine, except I forgot to select the sound card during the set up in unraid. When I edit the VM and select my sound card "Intel Cannon Lake PC cAVS (00:1f.3)", I get the following error when I try to restart the VM. 

Execution error

internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2020-02-22T20:48:36.922062Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:00:1f.3,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x6: vfio 0000:00:1f.3: group 7 is not viable Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver.

Do I need to build my VM from scratch or is there an easier way to solve this. 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, thogarth said:

group 7 is not viable

There's other devices within the IOMMU group that also need to be passed through.  Since the other devices are probably system devices that most likely will cause severe issues if passed through, you can try one of the ACS override settings in Settings - VM settings to see if your motherboard / chipset will allow the sound to be placed into its own IOMMU group.

All in all it is easier to simply use the video card's sound or pick up a USB sound card.

Devices that are built-in to the CPU are a pain to passthrough at the best of times (They aren't built the same way as a dedicated card), and it's very highly dependent upon the cpu and the motherboard.