3900X on x570 without gpu

Is there a way to "trick" a motherboard into booting without a discrete GPU installed when the CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics? I don't want to give up a x16 PCIE lane for a graphics card I'll never use other than to boot the system. I've got a 3900X and a Aorus X570 Pro Wifi. I can't find anything in the BIOS to support this.

Edited by mlapaglia
  • 2 months later...
On 2/22/2020 at 6:57 PM, mlapaglia said:

Is there a way to "trick" a motherboard into booting without a discrete GPU installed when the CPU doesn't come with integrated graphics? I don't want to give up a x16 PCIE lane for a graphics card I'll never use other than to boot the system. I've got a 3900X and a Aorus X570 Pro Wifi. I can't find anything in the BIOS to support this.

Were you ever able to get this board to boot into unRaid without a video card? I am interested in using it but want to put a 10 GBE card instead of a video card. Planning on data and VMs with no graphics demand.

Thanks for any info.

Hi Remember that the X series Ryzen does not come with integrated graphics processors.

Google Search:

Does 3900x have integrated graphics?

Both the Ryzen 3900X and Ryzen 3950X are X series processors meaning they don't have an integrated graphical processing unit. So you'll have to buy a discrete graphic card along side the processor.

We had the same issue when the first Ryzen 2 Threadrippers came out - we bought two machines for work servers and didnt know we had to buy graphics cards...so we couldn't setup the machines until we bought the cards...kids before xmas, with boxes you can't play with....hmmm

AFAIK Unraid can run headless.  However it is a bit hard to get set up initially "flying blind".  If it were me I'd put a graphics card in, get the system up and running to the point where you can remote in through your browser on another system (that's the way I manage it normally), then you can pull the video card back out.

I initially had two video cards in my system, an AMD RX570 and an NVidia 1700.  I managed to get each of them and their respective sound components passed through to VMs.  I passed one into a windows 10 vm and the other into a linux mint vm.  I eventually gave the 1700 to my son for his gaming rig and now only have the AMD graphics card in my unraid rig.