Two networks

JustinAiken

So now I have a wireless router upstairs that has the internet... but no way to get a cable downstairs.  I my unRaid, HTPC, and desktop all on a wired router downstairs.  On my HTPC and desktop, if I connect to the wired LAN, then my wireless internet doesn't work.  How can I get both these to work together, so I can surf the internet and listen to music on the unRaid at the same time?

Get the wired network you have there connected to the one upstairs with a wireless bridge. Then it will be transparent as if you had a cable. Probably dependt on the router/AP upstairs, so you should google for how people have succeeded with that specific model (or sponsor two that works great together, or go the powerline route).

This wired router, is it wireless as well? You might be able to set that router to connect to the upstairs one in bridge mode or slave mode.

If the downstairs router doesn't have any wireless then you might just want to change to one that does. For example, Trendnet has a thing called WDS or wireless distribution system which will do this.

Peter

Get a wireless adapter for your Desktop and HTPC - check Newegg.  Then you'll be able to connect to the internet over wireless but maintain the wired connection to unRAID.  It's not ideal but it should work just fine - I think ;).

I have a wireless adapter for them; but if the wired connection to unRaid is active, then no sites will load over the wireless...

Thought I would chime in on this 1 since I can kind of relate. I needed to put 2 ip security cameras upstairs but no cabling available and this would be just for testing untill the cameras were put outside into housings.. I wanted to stress the cameras and equipment before installing them in there final places. I have a zoom4400 access point connected directly to my router. The zoom has no dhcp because the router is taking care of this. (I might add this has been a great product.. 2 reboots in the past year (on ups)). This is located in the basement. 2nd floor has a Motorola cb3000 wireless ethernet bridge. This has 1 ethernet port- no problem. I connected a cheap 5 port switch to it and then 2 tp-ip100 ip security cameras. These have been working great streaming live video from the cameras.. Now i have yet to have issues with the cd3000.. far warning, I bought it brand new from Ebay. Was still sealed in the package. Motorola's driver support costs $$. I have yet to have a issue with the firmware that it came with so it aint broke. If you have the ability to run cat5 upstairs then it might be worth it go that route. Cat5 cabling upstairs going to a switch then to a wireless ethernet bridge.. But then after you spend the time and money purchasing everything and setting it up it may have been better to drop a cat5 cable out of a window....

Archived