OT Question about launching DVD's from Firefox

I know this is off topic, but I figure what I'm trying to do might be similar to what others here are doing. I've asked on Firefox forums, but am generally met with silence.

I rip DVD's to my unRAID server into regular DVD folders. I've created web pages with lists of movies, and a hot link to the IFO file for each. In Internet Explorer 7, I click on the link and the DVD launches in PowerDVD. Works fine.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I want to use Firefox as the browser for my movie list(s). But clicking on the link to the IFO won't open the IFO in PowerDVD as IE does. In fact, it does nothing at all. It's as if it's not even a link. When I look at the Content Tab (in Firefox) and go to Manage File Types, IFO files are not listed, nor is there any apparent way to add a new filetype.

Anyone know a way to make Firefox launch DVD's from my unRAID server from the link to the IFO like IE does? It's hard to believe it doesn't just work.

Hey, thanks for that. And it did what it was supposed to (I was able to add the IFO file extension) but the links still don't work. I noticed that when hovering over the link to the IFO it shows the target as:

file://unraid/movies/Almost%20Famous/VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO

Seems OK, but when I hover over the links to, say, the Details page it shows:

file://///unraid/Movies/Web/details/582.html

The link to the IFO is formatted "file://" (doesn't work) and the Details "file://///" (works).

For some reason Firefox wants 5 slashes there. Changing the shortcut to the IFO and adding the extra /// makes it work, but also breaks it with other browsers, namely IE. Plus it'd be a serious pain to edit all the links in the database.  :(

Oh well. Obviously not an unRAID issue so I'm letting it go. Just wanted to share what I discovered.

Thanks.