Unraid and AMD 3950x does it play well vs Intel?

CSIG1001

26 minutes ago, mlapaglia said:

What issues do you have? I'm moving over to a x570 board with a 3900x tonight.

Stability mostly, I have 64gb and three titan x GPUs and had never been able to get stability out of it. I’m actually working on it right this minute if you want any specific info?

here is from the last kernel panic a few minutes ago lmao 🤣 

B3EB2340-2F44-4428-899D-63137D6B0C2D.jpeg

1 hour ago, CSIG1001 said:

is it safe to say that unraid is safe with  a 3950x?

I have no idea, it could be better now but from everything that I have had to deal with since mid 2018 with my threadripper 2 build I would seriously shy away from it.

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

Have a look at this

Thank you for sharing, I have tried almost everything listed or mentioned here. I’m starting to believe it’s component related, but after 5 different intel 10gbe adapters and the constant freeze from network saturation I think I’m going to part it out to a family member.

11 hours ago, CSIG1001 said:

I am curious to know if Unraid has any issues with software/hardware compatibility or does it play nice like a basic 8700k intel?

If so what problems have you had with AMD vs Intel when it comes to plugins, docker apps, plex , VMs etc.

Please let us know !

Thanks

For the "play" part, if you are after gaming in a VM, Intel is still king (caveat: ONLY with Intel single-die chips).

• The CCX-CCD design of AMD Ryzen adds latency that (a) requires a lot of tweaks to minimise and (b) even with all the tweaks are still not as low as Intel
  • Intel single-core clock is still the highest on the market and most games aren't optimised that well for many-core.

For the "nice" part, I don't think there's any show-stopper kind of stability issues any more as the necessary tweaks are known.

There are just bits and bobs that you might need to pay extra care for e.g. BIOS version for Ryzen (some versions are known to break things) and pin issues with Threadripper (simply because of the ridiculous number of pins required and the delicate mounting mechanism).

You can search the forum for people's post about 3950X config to have an idea of how things are playing out.

Most of the issues I have seen are GPU pass through but they are not CPU specific.

5 hours ago, Magicmissle said:

Stability mostly, I have 64gb and three titan x GPUs and had never been able to get stability out of it. I’m actually working on it right this minute if you want any specific info?

I don't think you can generalise your issue as being 2950X specific. Something isn't right with your hardware. If I have to guess from the kernel panics, you might want to check your motherboard pins and CPU mounting. It has been known to cause weird inexplicable problems such as kernel panics.

Btw, 3x Titan X on a 2950X is highly inefficient for the simple fact that the 2950X only has 2 dies. At least 1 of the 3 Titan will have to compromise (most likely 2 of the 3 since 2 of them need to share the same die).

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with 3rd Gen Ryzen on unRAID for the OS itself. I've not had a single crash yet since switching over from Intel. 

I would have zero hesitation recommending AMD for unRAID, in fact i would choose them over Intel any day of the week.

Used a 3600 and also a 3950X on my system, and it's absolutely fantastic.

Threadripper i'm not quite sure, heard a few people have had issues, but i don't think it would stop me from going down that route. However, as Ryzen is now so good, unless you need masses of PCI-E lanes, then x570 is plenty imo. Of course if you're also virtualising an OS as well, then that could bring other issues that may not be the fault of unRAID itself.

Edited by sdamaged
On 2/23/2020 at 5:30 AM, CSIG1001 said:

I am curious to know if Unraid has any issues with software/hardware compatibility or does it play nice like a basic 8700k intel?

If so what problems have you had with AMD vs Intel when it comes to plugins, docker apps, plex , VMs etc.

Please let us know !

Thanks

I'm running a 3900X and it's stable. As with any platform there are going to be bugs, but the Ryzen platform is pretty mature now with the latest chipsets and 3 gen CPUs. Only thing to really watch out for is RAM speed and don't overclock the RAM. Stick to the supported memory speeds, especially with dual rank dimms. 

I don't have the 3950X (cost here in Canada is a bit much) but the chips are better binned dies than the 3900X, and I think if you go that route (or even a 3900X) you'll be happy. 

4 minutes ago, Dent_ said:

I know it is a little different but I have a threadripper 3960x running for almost two months with no problems so far. The only minor issue I am having is getting temps from cpu and that is apparently a driver issue(or lack of driver) for the newer sensors. 

Would you mind sharing your boot options and bios tuning? Also are you running in EFI or legacy? I’m still tinkering with my 2950x on this x399 MSI gaming plus board, seems that whenever I saturate network or disks it results in a freeze requiring a power cycle. Thanks!

I am working away from home right now but will try and remember when i get home, about three weeks but everything is stock. i actually just pulled the usb key out of the old server and resetup the array with the same drive order, changed the network options and it all just worked. I wanted stability so I never messed with overclocks besides setting memory to XMP profile(or AMP for AMD I think) to get it up to 3200Mhz. As for EFI or legacy I am positive it is set UEFI. The motherboard being used is the Asrock TRX40 creator. As for the network I have not capped that yet as so far I have been transferring to the array of spinning disks and have not been able to max out the 10Gbit connection, but it has maxed out the spinning disks. If I can remember anything else I will let you know.

Edited by Dent_

while I have you all on here , the experts 

I had a question.   What is the best way to copy over data to a new unraid array?  USB? plugging in a  drive inside the computer and then copying?  I have eight 8 TB hard drives full of data I need to put on a 24 bay array which will have 2 drives for redundancy.        So I will be using inside the 22 bays blank 8tb drives.

I would think it would take me about a week to copy over the data..    I do want to keep the original drives as back up as well.

Thanks!

On 2/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, CSIG1001 said:

Please let us know !

Thanks

What's crazy is I just upgraded from a 8700K to a 3950X.  I found that my overclocked 3950x @ 4.3ghz runs a 8 vcore VM with nearly the same performance as the full 12 vcore 8700K non-VM. 

All ofthe docker apps work great, minus CrashPlanPro which I'm still having a weird issue with, probably not hardware related however.

Here's my build:

https://www.bryanvine.com/2020/02/unraid-my-venture-into-virtualized.html

3 hours ago, Chess said:

If you can mount them in unraid you could use midnight commander to move the data over to the new shares. It would be the fastest, if unraid supports the file systems on the disks. What OSes are these disk coming from, and are you using any type of raid on them?

i AM using NTFS on a jbod

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the long  overdue reply. several months later lol

Just got my server up and running 192TB

using a 24bay norco filled up

7700k  intel "will be upgrading to a 10900k in a few months"

32gb ram 3600mhz cas 15

2080 TI for plex transcoding

two 2TB 860 EVOs for cache

I am about to start a parity for my array  so it is protected. I read  on here you should not copy anything until this is completed. I understand why

I also know its not best to assign my paritiy drives just yet , i might use two 12tb drives so I will wait until everything is copied over about 72tb

Will install my 2080 TI after everything is completed and I setup plex  to use the gpu for transcoding.  

So since I got all the experts on , is there anything I should be aware of? 

Also  when I go upgrade my CPU /MOBO what do I do? Just install everything and then what?

Sorry for the newb questions,  i am going to start watching space invader again soon