Snapraid on Unraid

Dennip

I am not planning to do this but I'm simply curious whether its theoretically possible and if anyone has tried. I searched the forum and didnt see an existing thread.

Could you create a linux VM with its own IP, pass through a bunch of unassigned devices to the VM and then set up a snapraid instance on that VM?

The VM would then run its own SMB service allowing you to create a second pool.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Dennip said:

I am not planning to do this but I'm simply curious whether its theoretically possible and if anyone has tried. I searched the forum and didnt see an existing thread.

Could you create a linux VM with its own IP, pass through a bunch of unassigned devices to the VM and then set up a snapraid instance on that VM?

Thoughts?

No reason that this should not be possible (although hot sure why you would want to do this).   Note however that you would still need to live within the 'attached devices' limit for the Unraid license you have so all disks managed by the VM would count.

1 hour ago, Dennip said:

Thoughts?

Yes it's possible. I have tried similar thing albeit in Windows.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

No reason that this should not be possible (although hot sure why you would want to do this).   Note however that you would still need to live within the 'attached devices' limit for the Unraid license you have so all disks managed by the VM would count.

3 things that come to mind.

• Snapraid has undelete functionality - almost like a partial rebuild.
  • Multiple arrays
  • SSD array with trim
17 hours ago, testdasi said:

3 things that come to mind.

• Snapraid has undelete functionality - almost like a partial rebuild.
  • Multiple arrays
  • SSD array with trim

Yes i was thinking along similar lines. Or if you want a second array that doesn't have/need real-time parity. E.G a separate array for IP Camera recordings etc. 

31 minutes ago, Dennip said:

Yes i was thinking along similar lines. Or if you want a second array that doesn't have/need real-time parity. E.G a separate array for IP Camera recordings etc. 

If you don't need parity for the secondary array, mergerfs or unionfs is a lot less cumbersome than snapraid e.g. don't need to waste resource on a VM.

I'm currently using mergerfs for my backup arrays. One for my internal SSD (so I can use trim) and one for my 2x external USB HDD offline backup (because I only switch on and connect them on demand).

I'm also using unionfs to pool my gdrive rclone mounts with local storage.