Clarification on the use of VPN and Proxy for BitTorrents in UnRaid.

schlatrice

Hello! I'm new here :)

I've been looking for a clear answer about this for a few weeks now and hoped you guys could clarify this for me.

I want to be able to use a BitTorrent client securely and privately with my nordVPN subscription.

My understanding of the use case/failings of each protocol is that:

• Using a VPN service (like Nord's) encrypts your data so it is not visible to your ISP and hides your IP but all of your internet traffic has to go through it.
  • Inside a BitTorrent client, you can set it to use socks5 protocol (or others) to use your VPN as a proxy. While this lets you have only your BitTorrent client go through the VPN (cover your IP), it does not encrypt your data so your ISP can see everything.

*Please correct me or clarify if I'm wrong on some of these.

Here is where I got confused:

• When installing a BitTorrent client on unraid like binhex delugevpn, it gives you the option to set the VPN to the container itself. Is it any different from setting your VPN as proxy inside the client? (like preferences ⇒ connection ⇒ proxy) Does this first method uses encryption?
  • Does openVPN docker have a role to play into that? Will it make all server outside communication go through my VPN? The openVPN client is to connect to the outside while the server is for remote acces?

I assumed that the docker VPN option was probably meant to give me what I need but, I tried to set up deluge VPN docker with my nordVPN subscription and I really don't know what to put in each key. All the tutorials I saw didn't really go into details on how to set it up, or they use PIA

Thanks in advance and I hope I posted in the right place :P