Question (UPS usage)

Alphahelix

I was wondering if I should invest in an UPS. Since I live in Denmark, where the power is constant and last time we had a power outage was... Let me get back when I remember the year I do know it was before 2010.

I do not need to level out the power, we have few power outages, so do I need an UPS?

So How many of you use an UPS in private, and what is the reason(s) for having one?

/Alphahelix

1 hour ago, Alphahelix said:

I was wondering if I should invest in an UPS. Since I live in Denmark, where the power is constant and last time we had a power outage was... Let me get back when I remember the year I do know it was before 2010.

I do not need to level out the power, we have few power outages, so do I need an UPS?

So How many of you use an UPS in private, and what is the reason(s) for having one?

/Alphahelix

Get a UPS. Where I live we almost never have a power outage either, but we do get lightning strikes, and they can wreck a system. I company I worked for in the past had a district server room (and I use that term very loosely as it was a broom closet with some servers on a shelf) and a nasty hail storm came through with lots of lightning. They never lost power, but man did they get a few power spikes. They lost a TV in the lunch room, but worse than that, one of their R710 was dead. Ended up taking out the mainboad in the server. Sure Dell replaced it under warranty, but it was a hassle.  

Do you have kids? Pets? My UPS will allow my server to shutdown properly either due to a power outage, or accident. I suspect an accident is more likely to happen vs a power outage, but last year the power was out in my house for 8 hours due to a idiot cutting a underground line, and my UPSes shutdown most of my servers just fine, only one went down hard, and that was just a pfSense box that seems to be pretty resilient. 

I suspect you'll get more posts like this, but don't wait, get one as soon as you can, if you care about your hardware and Data.

/Alphahelix

I also live in Denmark and would never run a 24/7 server without a ups.
The biggest advantage for me is that the ups will do a normal shutdown of the server, when power runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
21 minutes ago, perhansen said:

I also live in Denmark and would never run a 24/7 server without a ups.
The biggest advantage for me is that the ups will do a normal shutdown of the server, when power runs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was thinking. For my case Supermicro has actually made a battery backup power. I can mount instead of a PSU. True I loose one of the two PSU's, but since I live in an old apartment I only have one line in anyways. And with a BBP I should get aprox. 9min of battery life with full load. Plenty of time to shutdown the server. However, it is a bit heavy on the price, but then again so are a traditional UPS-solution.

Well thank you both for your input. I better start saving up... 

/Alphahelix