(SOLVED) How to avoid a Parity-Check on a nearly empty array?

icopy

I'm new to unraid. I've just setup an array with 5 new Toshiba 4T hard drive. 4 data and 1 parity. Also I added a nvme ssd as cache. I transfered about 120+G files for testing.

Somehow after a reboot, the parity drive requires a parity-check. I don't think it's necesary and I don't want to do this parity-sync. So I've tried to:

a) change the file system for all data drives and format all data drives.

b) reset the array.

Yet the unraid os still asks to do a parity-sync.

How can I avoid this parity-check?  Thx.

Edited by icopy
5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If Unraid did a parity after a reboot it means there was an unclean shutdown and you should let it finish, and if you want to avoid it the only is doing a new config and checking "parity is already" valid before starting the array, but you risk being left with invalid parity in case of a disk failure.

Thanks for the reply.

If I check "parity is already" as you've suggested, will I lose data in the future? Even though I don't have any data at the moment.

Is this the recommended way to start a new array?

When setting up a new array one always needs to go through building the initial parity.  This is required despite the fact thzt there is no dzta present as parity does not understand data - only bit patterns.

In your case since it appears you had valid parity you may be able to use Tools >> New Config to reset the array and then tick the "Parity is already valid" box.   However this is risky and I would recommend rebuilding parity to play safe.

3 minutes ago, itimpi said:

When setting up a new array one always needs to go through building the initial parity.  This is required despite the fact thzt there is no dzta present as parity does not understand data - only bit patterns.

In your case since it appears you had valid parity you may be able to use Tools >> New Config to reset the array and then tick the "Parity is already valid" box.   However this is risky and I would recommend rebuilding parity to play safe.

Doing the parity-check now. Thx!