Array started but my cache seems to not be able to mount... or something.

So I will start off by declaring that I am a noob with some knowledge.

My array was working fine. I have several HDDS and a few SSDs that I run in a cache pool. I run plex, nextcloud, bitwarden, VMs, etc...

First of all I ran out of space on my cache due to plex metadata being stored there. I only have about 400Gb continually on my cache. I didn't want to spend the money on a new SSD so I added a spare HDD to my cache pool. it worked fine for quite a while. But now my log is filled with BTRFS errors and Docker will not start.

It seems that anything that depends on the cache is broken.

The only thing I have access to is my SMB shares.

I have attached a couple log files for those who understand that stuff better than me. Any advice would much appreciated.

I'm thinking of just going out and buying another SSD or two and removing the HDD and letting the cache rebuild... don't know if that would work or just break it more...

Unraid logunraid log initial

P.S. I know an HDD in my cache is not good. I just wanted a temp fix. I don't really want to spend the money at the moment.

EDIT UPDATE: Well it looks like everything is coming crashing down. In the process of trying to get my docker apps functioning as they should, I had my nvme SSD become unmountable and require a format. It looks like my entire appdata folder was on that drive. I'm not sure why it required a reformat. Maybe it is going bad. Anyway, It looks like my appdata folder is gone. That's because I set my appdata share to be ONLY on my cache. Is this a bad Idea?

Also, I have removed the HDD from my cache and added a 512mb SSD to the SSDs. Yes my SSDs vary in size. They are a mix of SSDs I have aquired over the years.

Edited by Mustangf22
4 minutes ago, Mustangf22 said:

For anybody else having a similar issue here is the guide I followed

Simpler to use Previous Apps on the Apps page.

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Docker image is corrupt, it needs to be recreated, there might be other problems but that's all I can see in the limited log posted, next time please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

We never got your Diagnostics. Those might give us a better idea of what went wrong. Possibly you still haven't really fixed the cause of the issue and it will return.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

Only issue I see for now is a single right error on cache2:

Feb 26 19:19:36 PaulServer kernel: BTRFS info (device sde1): bdev /dev/sde1 errs: wr 1, rd 0, flush 0, corrupt 0, gen 0

You might want to take a look at this.

Also, I asked for the diagnostics, not just the syslog:

10 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

please post the diagnostics: Tools -> Diagnostics

7 hours ago, trurl said:

Simpler to use Previous Apps on the Apps page.

We never got your Diagnostics. Those might give us a better idea of what went wrong. Possibly you still haven't really fixed the cause of the issue and it will return.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post.

ah yes! Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Mustangf22 said:

I assumed so... how do I check on that?

raid1 is the default so if you didn't go to the trouble to make it anything else that is what you have.

The reason I ask is because you may not have as much capacity as you think in the cache pool since its disks are of different sizes.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/#comment-480420

UPDATE: Well it looks like everything is coming crashing down. In the process of trying to get my docker apps functioning as they should, I had my nvme SSD become unmountable and require a format. It looks like my entire appdata folder was on that drive. I'm not sure why it required a reformat. Maybe it is going bad. Anyway, It looks like my appdata folder is gone. That's because I set my appdata share to be ONLY on my cache. Is this a bad Idea?

Also, I have removed the HDD from my cache and added a 512mb SSD to the SSDs. Yes my SSDs vary in size. They are a mix of SSDs I have aquired over the years.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

raid1 is the default so if you didn't go to the trouble to make it anything else that is what you have.

The reason I ask is because you may not have as much capacity as you think in the cache pool since its disks are of different sizes.

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/#comment-480420

Right. I was aware. I was hoping that would save my appdata if i had a cache SSD fail... Like just happened LOL

21 minutes ago, Mustangf22 said:

It looks like my entire appdata folder was on that drive.

Cache pool is raid1, so it is a mirror. None of your appdata is all on a single disk, but there are 2 copies of it in the cache pool.

I set my appdata share to be ONLY on my cache. Is this a bad Idea?

That's how I have mine, and in fact I recommend it.

I have removed the HDD from my cache

Why would you have ever put an HDD in a pool of SSDs? Sort of defeats the purpose of having any SSDs.

Just noticed you have a cache6 assigned but nothing assigned as cache5. Is that right?

I had my nvme SSD become unmountable and require a format.

I don't think formatting cache was the correct approach if you wanted to keep anything.

I would sit tight until @johnnie.black wakes up, he knows the most about how to deal with cache pool problems.

@trurlThanks for the help. I didn't realize I was formatting the entire cache pool, but I think that's what I did. (I thought it was just the one drive) 😞  Oh well. I will just have to rebuild my plex metadata and settings. Could be worse. I don't think I lost anything critical. I got plex to work tonight, but I am going to have to start again tomorrow after I get some sleep on the rest of my issues. letsencrypt mariadb nextcloud and bitwarden are all causing me issues trying to get them running. I will have to rewatch all the spaceinvaderone videos.

FYI - I put the HDD in the cache because I was running low on cache space. I know it slowed down the whole pool, but it was just temporary until I got another SSD. Probably was not the best way to go about it, but I'm a noob...

3 hours ago, remotevisitor said:

there are likely to be a number of people having this cache pool issue and being unaware their cache pool is not redundant

Yes, I believe next Unraid release will have a warning for that, or auto-convert metadata to raid1 if data is also raid1, but not sure if it was already implemented.