Unraid Server Keeps Hanging Whenever Tower is Touched

Yousty

Can somebody please try and help solve an issue I've been having the last several months that's driving me crazy?! For some reason my Unraid server will hang whenever my tower is touched, we're talking placing something on top of it or even something as simple as the Roomba bumping into it. If that happens it becomes completely unresponsive even though I can still hear the fans running. There is nothing on the monitor and trying to access webUI fails. This has happened about 20 times in the past few months and it's driving me crazy because the only way to fix it is to hard shutdown with the power button which causes me to have to do a parity check when starting up again, putting lots of unnecessary read time on all 7 of my disks.

I opened the tower and checked all cable connections to make sure they were secure and re-seated my 2 sticks of RAM, but it's still happening.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed! Thank you.

Or, a motherboard standoff that's not actually supposed to be there finally scraped off the laquer on the circuit board. Or a circuit trace that's broken, or a bad solder joint.

You are going to have to do some systematic step by step troubleshooting, in the meantime your data is at risk every time the server freezes. I'd recommend booting to memtest while you are poking, prodding and bumping so you have a non-destructive environment to trigger the freezing. Also, hard disk drives are NOT ok with physical impact while running, I'd recommend keeping any spinning drives power unplugged while doing testing.