SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 good for newbie?

heoquoay

This is the item I am watching SuperMicro 4U CSE-846 24 Bay SAS2 BP X9DRi-F/2x W/ 2x E5-2620 32GB IT MODE.

I am new to the scene and did some research but don't understand much about server hardware from the system above.  My question is this server good enough for me to install unraid?  Will it be fast enough to transfer file or even stream it from my computer (without PLEX)?  If I install PLEX what item do I need to upgrade to make it 4k?  Are these fan loud?  Which item do I need to upgrade to make it quieter?  What better option do you suggest?  Thank you

Also if I go with this barebone which is a good motherboard for 24 hard drive? What other items do you recommend. Thank again

Edited by heoquoay
  • 2 months later...

Plex and 4k....  The best method is always direct-play and force the client head end to decode the file. Anytime I've done a 4k run, this includes a 3950x, and 2990...  Things just get weird. I can't speak on behalf of Plex, but as a software developer myself; I wouldn't waste time upgrading my plex software to handle a 4k stream when most 4k tv's have the functionality built in 2 year old units that do just fine. I had a 2014 Insignia Roku TV at a client the other day. It did a 4k with 5.1 no issues.

That said I feel that platform is a very robust and good start, but you'll be locked into SAS drives, which new are very expensive. The replacement tray and drive fitment in them suggest there is not enough room for a sas to sata adapter. It could be a good start, but being potentially locked in to sas drives only is a massive turn off when you decide to upgrade drives in a year.