[SUPPORT] malvarez00 - HOOBS

Wow this is really fast and better scaling than the Docker (More Icons on the web UI) and fixed IP is easy since it now has a MAC and I can just do a DHCP reservation for this (I spend all night trying to get the docker working) and it took 10 min to create the VM

For anyone else who wants to try this in a VM instead of Docker on Unraid:

Download Fedora ISO:
Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-33-1.2.iso

Install Fedora on Unraid as VM: (I need to update the icon for HOOBS 🙂 )

image.thumb.png.73a342a5d9664500add9cf2b71b3c6b5.png

Click create and go to your VNC

2021-01-10_13-31-27-t.jpg.f82e4ffbbb2c4477140dff5c01825c29.jpg

image.thumb.png.668d2dbb0a9f49bbc4c8bd96e1b151cb.png

Fill out everything ("X" SSH)

image.png.b8f1babc80b4188d638cc41d143c6403.png

Install and wait

image.png.ebf408f0f417787f54c3a5a9177adb56.png

Instruction after this is Copy paste from here LINK

Update Fedora and go for Coffee

sudo yum update

Set Hostname

sudo hostnamectl set-hostname hoobs

Install Avahi

sudo yum install -y nss-mdns avahi

Enable Avahi

sudo systemctl enable avahi-daemon.service

Now reboot

sudo reboot

If you do not want to enter your password in the command line, you can setup sudo to not prompt for a password.

Nano comes shipped with Fedora. You will need to edit your sudoers file.

sudo nano /etc/sudoers

By default your admin account is part of the wheel group. This is the entry you need to change.

Look for this line in the file.

%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

And change it to this.

%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

To exit nano, press ctrl+x, then y and then enter to save.

Now you can start HOOBS without a password.

Now we are ready to install HOOBS.

wget -q -O - http://bit.ly/get-hoobs | sudo bash -

Wait and access HOOBS wit a fixed IP on

http://[IP]/

2021-01-10_14-31-54.jpg.f839845ced158832b591af252446c8b1.jpg

Much Better with the icon ;-) :

image.thumb.png.2f266a7ab51f193b4ba586bd585cb9a5.png

Edited by casperse
On 6/11/2020 at 9:12 PM, Bondfire said:

It wont let me change the container port like you were able to do.  Is there some advanced edit mode I need to be in?

I couldn't too. So I created another one, and deleted the current one.

And there is another typo with the description of the home bridge port "51826 >> 512826" but it's not blocking. 

Plus the one with the WebGUI that someone talked about. It makes me think the author couldn't care less about the community. 

13 hours ago, pee_bear said:

I couldn't too. So I created another one, and deleted the current one.

And there is another typo with the description of the home bridge port "51826 >> 512826" but it's not blocking. 

Plus the one with the WebGUI that someone talked about. It makes me think the author couldn't care less about the community. 

So you created your own Docker? or did you install it as a VM like me?

I found that even if I got the Docker working and could access the UI allot of the plugins would NOT work!

(They needed the fixed IP, which I never could get working on my Unraid server)

There seem to be many problem with running HOOBS or Homebridge in a Docker

Another thing people have to fix is the FFMPEG codec path to get Cameras working like this:

image.png.a0f7de1f65b0f622e343498482cea9d9.png

The VM setup just works

Update: I now have both HOOBS and Homebridge running as VM's and all my plugins work in Homebridge (I even like the UI better than HOOBS!)

HOOBS is still Hit and miss on the configuration the UI on Homebridge will tell you more about inputting the correct information as examples

@casperse Hello, yes you need an IP in the same network than your devices. 

It is usually "easy" to setup (have to choose "Custom: Br0" and define an ip), but I couldn't make it work with this image. So I dropped it and I installed the official docker image hoobs/hoobs. I could add the bridge to my House app of Apple ! 

But I can't make my 2 switchbot work correctly. I'm gonna try Homebridge then. Thanks !

Edited by pee_bear
  • 1 month later...

I can access the docker UI and some plugins work fine, others are problematic or require different versions of underlying dependencies. The lack of updates to this docker make the situation untenable.

If you're just jumping on this thread now and wanting HOOBS for the first time or simply for the first time in Unraid, save yourself long-term issues.  SKIP THIS DOCKER.  Refer to the instructions above and go with a VM instead which will let you stay up to date - which is required for some plugins.

Edited by Espressomatic
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, squirrellydw said:

Why isn't this updated to version 4?

2 hours ago, Dazza1 said:

Wow its quite a few versions behind, would love an update to V4

Complain to hoobs themselves.  They are the ones who maintain the container itself (ie: the version in CA is the official version) and they last updated it 10 months ago.

On 1/20/2022 at 7:34 PM, Squid said:

Complain to hoobs themselves.  They are the ones who maintain the container itself (ie: the version in CA is the official version) and they last updated it 10 months ago.

Turns out mine was 3.29 repository so just changed it over to hoobs/hoobs repository now on 3.65 still a little way behind but a lot better than before, I’ve used homebridge and every update is a bum clincher almost every update broke the nest thermostats it was annoying I’m glad I found Hoobs I may get a raspberry pie to so maintenance is easier but the jury is still out on that at the minute.

21 hours ago, Squid said:

Absolutely completely off topic.  Do you recommend running with home bridge when having this?  What advantages would I gain vs the app?

Short answer yes, Advantage over homebridge is hoobs is a lot more solid especially if your running nest plugin, I use to hate updating it, I ended up nearly having to rebuild homebridge after every update to that plug in it was so annoying. Reliability is what you gain over Homebridge the only real use is Siri to change temp have Siri tell you what the temp is in the house and to have it in HomeKit how it should have been. I had problems with homebridge on the MacBook and also on the server that’s why I moved to hoobs Hope this helps

Edited by Dazza1
On 1/10/2021 at 6:24 AM, casperse said:

Wow this is really fast and better scaling than the Docker (More Icons on the web UI) and fixed IP is easy since it now has a MAC and I can just do a DHCP reservation for this (I spend all night trying to get the docker working) and it took 10 min to create the VM

For anyone else who wants to try this in a VM instead of Docker on Unraid:

Download Fedora ISO:
Fedora-Server-dvd-x86_64-33-1.2.iso

Install Fedora on Unraid as VM: (I need to update the icon for HOOBS 🙂 )

image.thumb.png.73a342a5d9664500add9cf2b71b3c6b5.png

Click create and go to your VNC

2021-01-10_13-31-27-t.jpg.f82e4ffbbb2c4477140dff5c01825c29.jpg

image.thumb.png.668d2dbb0a9f49bbc4c8bd96e1b151cb.png

Fill out everything ("X" SSH)

image.png.b8f1babc80b4188d638cc41d143c6403.png

Install and wait

image.png.ebf408f0f417787f54c3a5a9177adb56.png

Instruction after this is Copy paste from here LINK

Update Fedora and go for Coffee

Set Hostname

Install Avahi

Enable Avahi

Now reboot

If you do not want to enter your password in the command line, you can setup sudo to not prompt for a password.

Nano comes shipped with Fedora. You will need to edit your sudoers file.

By default your admin account is part of the wheel group. This is the entry you need to change.

Look for this line in the file.

%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL

And change it to this.

To exit nano, press ctrl+x, then y and then enter to save.

Now you can start HOOBS without a password.

Now we are ready to install HOOBS.

Wait and access HOOBS wit a fixed IP on

http://[IP]/

2021-01-10_14-31-54.jpg.f839845ced158832b591af252446c8b1.jpg

Much Better with the icon ;-) :

image.thumb.png.2f266a7ab51f193b4ba586bd585cb9a5.png

@casperse first I want to say Thank you for making the steps. I get to the point where you say "Instruction after this is Copy paste from here LINK" when I try the commands from the link it does not recognize them. I did also just realize that this post is a year old and a lot has probably changed. just was wondering if you could shine some light on what I might not be noticing. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 10:34 PM, Squid said:

Actually, I was just referring to why use Hoobs / Homebridge over Google's own Nest App (not Google Home as it's garbage)

Just to open up the sensors like humidity on the thermostat and protect or motion that's on the protects. So maybe when the temp inside gets too high or humid you can automate the HVAC or motion sensors.

Ive just setup a Raspberry pie now so i can get onto version 4 and updates are coming out almost daily. And the best thing after so long I've finally managed to get my RingDoorBell to work with Homekit. I don't think the plugin for unraid had the necessary elements to make it work, But with the PI it works soo well! But without a question this plugging for the unraid server was a life bacon.

Edited by Dazza1
typo
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

ValueError: invalid mode: 'rU' while trying to load binding.gyp
gyp ERR! configure error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: `gyp` failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onCpExit (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/configure.js:351:16)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:376:20)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:277:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 6.2.12-300.fc38.x86_64
gyp ERR! command "/usr/bin/node" "/usr/local/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@hoobs/hoobs/node_modules/node-pty
gyp ERR! node -v v14.17.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v5.1.0
gyp ERR! not ok 
npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] install: `node scripts/install.js`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR! 
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2023-04-25T19_09_56_411Z-debug.log