External USB sata enclosure reporting false drive temps?

unraidun

I have one of these 4 bay sata enclosures...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003X26VV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And UnRaid just sent me an alert that a disk was warm (47c). I went and checked, and the bay was in SLEEP mode (orange lights, no fans spinning, so it was definitely asleep). And at least the disk on the top (the only one I could reach) felt cool. The exact same thing happened the other day (although the bay was awake, just not in use).

Here's the really odd thing - I pointed a big room fan at the box (with the front cover open), and about 5 minutes later, unraid said that the drive in question had returned to 'safe' temperature.

Also, I've NEVER been able to see the actual temps of the drives (in my unassigned devices section, I just get a * for all the temps), so I don't know how unraid was even reading the temps (especially while the bay was sleeping).

A failing sensor/false positive was my first guess, but anyway to troubleshoot this and figure out what's for sure going on? Or at least figure out why unaid isn't reporting the temps in my dashboard?

Thanks

I've used one of those enclosures when I first started out and had to quickly drop it for a better solution.  For one, they use a port multiplier (if you use the SATA option) which is a bad idea and can lead to issues down the road (it did for me). The USB mode is just as bad and can disconnect randomly and lead to disks dropping from the array.  I believe when I was using it, mine too would not report the temperatures but I may be mistaken.  One concern though is that if the fan turns off while the unit is sleeping and the drives are all spun down, power may still be getting to the controller and causing it to generate heat.  But that's more of just an idea or theory.

Edited by civic95man

*Forgot to mention, this is JBOD and NOT part of the array. These are for some spare junk drives I have.

*and that's a concerning thought about the drives still generating heat even while sleeping... Can anyone confirm/deny? The data on these disks isn't critical, but still...

Or perhaps somebody can recommend a better way to utilize these 4 spare disks I have (needs to be external USB)?

Edited by unraidun