UDMA crc error count on LSI SAS9201-16E

This is just a helpful post in case anyone has the same problem in the future. 

Background: I ordered a SAS card (LSI SAS9201-16E) to control some additional hard drives for my server.  I also setup a new installation of unRAID for this install.  The firmware on the card was 20.00.00.00.

Problem: After starting the array, I received thousands and ultimately millions of UDMA crc error count messages on every drive larger than 2 TB (6 different drives).  I immediately checked all the cables, replaced them with new ones, etc to no avail.

Solution: I finally found a forum post about this particular firmware version being faulty.  So I flashed it using firmware version 20.00.00.07 available here: https://docs.broadcom.com/docs/9201_16i_Package_P20_IT_Firmware_BIOS_for_MSDOS_Windows.zip

Once the new version of the firmware was flashed, all the fake CRC errors went away!  Not another error since.  The patch notes did indicate that it the 20.00.00.00 version was prone to throwing bogus errors.

Hope this helps someone else that might go through the same problems!

• Like 2