Ryzen/TR2 Good/Bad

Hi community!

Having had a Ryzen and a TR1 previously and not built an UNRAID system in about a year, what's the current status with latest Ryzen and TR2 MB/PROC support and UNRAID? Is temperature monitoring for CPU/Mobo/nvme etc now fully supported and are all the PCIe reset bugs of the past fixed? Any advantages to using Intel over AMD with UNRAID? I plan to use media streaming dockers, 2 x gaming VMs (Nvid and Rad) , just want to be sure before splashing out. Thank you.

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Having had a Ryzen and a TR1 previously and not built an UNRAID system in about a year, what's the current status with latest Ryzen and TR2 MB/PROC support and UNRAID? Is temperature monitoring for CPU/Mobo/nvme etc now fully supported and are all the PCIe reset bugs of the past fixed? Any advantages to using Intel over AMD with UNRAID? I plan to use media streaming dockers, 2 x gaming VMs (Nvid and Rad) , just want to be sure before splashing out. Thank you.

AMD GPU reset bug is not fixed (because AMD is not fixing it). There are community-built custom kernel with reset patch but use it at your own risks.

Temp monitoring is dependent on the available driver so hard to say for sure.

Other than that, all the early teething issues have been bedded down.

Now with regards to gaming VM, there is a clear advantage of Intel (single-die) over AMD. This is due to the inherent properties of the Zen architecture with the CCX/CCD design.

In practice, it means gaming VM with Intel (single-die) CPU tends to have more consistent frame rate than AMD. There are ways to mitigate this but (a) it requires some technical know-how and (b) it does not completely level the difference.

How bad it affects you very much depends on your own tolerance level. I personally have zero problem but a friend had recently pointed out to me that my (first-person shooting) game looked choppy to him.

I think for you gaming VM, you are better off with an Nvidia GPU but as always, GPU pass-through-ability can never be guaranteed.

Edited by testdasi

If I am reading the above correctly, GPU issues aside, CPU issues are few and far between? I’m going to build a gaming rig for the living room, but I want to have unraid on it to virtualize everything (and to expand my storage without building a rack unit or using 12TB drives). Looking at a Ryzen 3400G APU so unraid has a video out, and then buying the most expensive Nvidia GPU I can tolerate. My only concern is if unraid is going to give me trouble.

P.S. I have a solid 50TB+ 4790k based server that is also my daily driver for Windows, so my only concerns are Ryzen related. I am super comfortable with unraid.

Edited by gtroyp
18 hours ago, gtroyp said:

If I am reading the above correctly, GPU issues aside, CPU issues are few and far between? I’m going to build a gaming rig for the living room, but I want to have unraid on it to virtualize everything (and to expand my storage without building a rack unit or using 12TB drives). Looking at a Ryzen 3400G APU so unraid has a video out, and then buying the most expensive Nvidia GPU I can tolerate. My only concern is if unraid is going to give me trouble.

P.S. I have a solid 50TB+ 4790k based server that is also my daily driver for Windows, so my only concerns are Ryzen related. I am super comfortable with unraid.

I can understand the point about not wanting to build a rack unit. But what's wrong with 12TB drives? HDD fails in statistical patterns so you should be looking to go big, go few. The more drives you have, the more likely for you to have a failed drive.

For a gaming build, especially a build that only has ONE VM, and even more especially with a high-end GPU, I would recommend to go Intel (single-die CPU).

You will get more consistent frame rate with Intel than AMD due to the Zen architecture inherent properties (i.e. the CCX/CCD design).

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2020 at 6:07 AM, testdasi said:

...I personally have zero problem but a friend had recently pointed out to me that my (first-person shooting) game looked choppy to him.

What mouse do you use with your gaming VM? Do you have the ability to change your polling rate? I have been having TERRIBLE problems with my Logitech G500 (old, but trusty). I had the polling rate set at 500 through the Logitech Gaming Software. After reducing it down to 200, my issues have pretty much disappeared.