AMP Container (McMyAdmin3/Minecraft/other game servers)

AngleRacket

I'm looking for help testing my new AMP container and template. (FYI, AMP requires a paid license / key)

If you don't know what AMP is, it's an instance manager similar in function to Docker (not necessarily in technology). In other words, you can use it to create multiple instances of specific kinds of server software. Namely, it has built in support for many game servers like Minecraft or Counter-Strike.

You can see the details and full list here: https://cubecoders.com/AMP

The evolution for Minecraft was McMyAdmin2 -> McMyAdmin3 -> AMP. After trying every other container based server panel, and even trying to install AMP directly in a VM, I was never satisfied with the both the function and performance. However, using this container, all my modded Minecraft issues are resolved. Large modpacks like Direwolf20 1.12 work fine (running from a cache-only share / SSD).

Anyway, I have it up and running locally, but I am looking for some help testing it for general use. Let me know if you can help out.

The github repo is here: https://github.com/AngleRacket/unraid-containers/tree/master/amp

Install by opening your docker admin page, and adding this repo URL to the Template Repositories list at the bottom of the page. Then add a new container, and select the "amp" template.

FYI, I have only tested the Java Minecraft module so far. There could be missing dependencies for the other modules, so let me know if you find any.

Thanks,

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, pcmantinker said:

I just tried your Docker container for Amp and it installed fine, but I can't setup any new instances of servers. Everything is readonly when trying to edit text or drop down boxes. Is there some configuration that is missing?

I assume you setup a valid license. It sounds like an application level issue to me. Usually, if any app expects files to be writable but cannot write to them, the read-only failure manifests in a different way (errors - not locked fields).

Did you install happen to use a McMyAdmin license, instead of a full Amp license? That will work, but you will only be able run the McMyAdmin specific server.

Did you map the "Container Path: /home/amp" to appdata or somewhere else?

Also, did you choose standalone for the install type? I haven't tested the other modes.

Edited by AngleRacket

Thanks for the quick reply. I walked through the setup again for a standalone install and tried on a different computer/browser. I think the computer I was using originally had issues with the JavaScript web application part of the AMP server. It could have also been an adblocker that was conflicting with the web page. I will try again on the original computer after clearing cache and updating browser adblock rules.

I have now been able to successfully setup a MineCraft server with a full Amp license. I am trying to install an ARK instance now and it appears to be using a modified SteamCMD process that doesn't tie to a particular Steam account. This is nice because I have SteamGaurd on my account and didn't want to have to lift that.

Edited by pcmantinker
Update on steam server installs
2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

How does it compare to mineos?

I tried desperately to get mineos to work. But i had many problems. If I could get a pack working, it was generally fine - but that was a big if.

With AMP, I can just pick the ftb release I want to setup. It's a 2 click install, and then configuring the server settings. Then my kid and I just pick the matching pack on Twitch and it works every time.

The things I really like about AMP are:

• I find it to be very high quality UI (I am a web developer, so I appreciate quality)
    • You can tell it's a commercial product
  • Installing FTB packs is very very easy
  • Installing a server pack that is not ftb is just as simple as setting up a generic forge server that matches the version, then copying up your server pack files to that share.
  • The console is way better than any competing apps
  • In general, it's very stable. Packs vary in this, but you can tell when the issue is your pack vs the admin panel. The problems manifest differently.

Have you seen issues with instances losing license activation between container restarts? I tried to manually re-activate from the terminal for my Amp docker, but the Amp instance list doesn't appear to be available. When I try to activate a specific instance, it says that the instance can't be found.

2 minutes ago, pcmantinker said:

Have you seen issues with instances losing license activation between container restarts? I tried to manually re-activate from the terminal for my Amp docker, but the Amp instance list doesn't appear to be available. When I try to activate a specific instance, it says that the instance can't be found.

I have seen this when the container is re-installed or edited, but not when restarted.

AMP seems to have some pretty strong security in place to keep instances encrypted. I am not exactly sure why that's so important for game servers, but I suppose it's hard to argue against security.

In the few instances where I have had to re-install, I have just manually re-created a new instance and copied my files over.

This hasn't happened in a few days for me now. It should be easy enough to move files between instances if need be in the future. It seems strange that activation is tied to an instance and not the management instance. I suppose that was done in order to keep attention on instance activation count.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone else runs into this problem, here are some details about a recent experience:

After some recent changes (which may have affected folder permissions), my AMP container wouldn't start in Unraid. Well, it would start, but the web UI would not return a page.

To fix this I logged into my unraid console, found my /mnt/user/amp folder (this is where I personally chose to put my files, not under appdata). Looking at the perms using 'stat /mnt/user/amp' I could see the perms were not set to 'nobody' like my other shares.

I'm not a linux guru, so many googles later I see that I need this command: chown -cR nobody:users /mnt/user/amp

VIola! Now my folder has the same perms as my other shares, and after restarting my container it is now serving pages again! YAY.

Except that inside AMP, my instances will not start... Back to "booooo!".

After some troubleshooting I find my log files are in /mnt/user/amp/.ampdata/instances/Minecraft02/AMP_Logs

Looking in the logs, it's clear that the "key" for the instance has changed - again.

This is the thing with amp. When you re-create an instance, it generates a random key to use as a basis for some encryption to do with licensing. So if you had files that were written with one container, and you re-create it, you are going to need to re-create those files.

Fortunately the log tells you exactly what to do - sort of.

Here is the entry: No valid AMP licence was found. Please run `ampinstmgr reactivate Minecraft02` to reactivate this instance.

Well, obviously you can open a terminal for that docker using the unraid web ui. BUT, there are a few problems.

1. You can't run that command as root, you need to run 'su -l amp' first.

2. You can't run that command while the main server is running and if you stop the main server it stops the container which closes your terminal window. To get around this, stop the container, edit it in unraid, switch to advanced view and add '--entrypoint=/bin/bash' to the "extra parameters" sections (so it should be '-it --entrypoint=/bin/bash'). Then start the container, open a terminal, and run the license command, and enter your license number, then stop the container and remove the entrypoint override. Finally restart and you should be good to go. Super simple, right?

Ok, so to summarize all of that. If you have problems:

1. Stop your AMP container.

2. Open a terminal for your main unraid server. Find your amp volume folder, and 'chown -cR nobody:users [your folder here]'

3. Edit your AMP container, choose ADVANCED VIEW (top right), find the extra parameters field and add "--entrypoint=/bin/bash" after "-it" so it should now be "-it --entrypoint=/bin/bash"

4. Start the container, open the container console (console is a choice below WEBUI in the unraid website) and run 'su -l amp'

5. Run 'ampinstmgr reactivate [your instance name here]', and put in your license when prompted.

6. Close the console, stop the container, remove the --entrypoint you added in step 3, and restart the container

That should do it. At least it did for me.

Edited by AngleRacket
On 4/29/2020 at 7:15 PM, jonz00r said:

How do you Update AMP once this is running?

As with most containers, to update the container software you need to wait for the container maker to test and publish an updated image (so that would be me, not the software maker). In this case, the container seems fairly stable, and while there are some small feature updates, I am hesitant to update to a newer version and risk there being stability problems with UnRaid since AMP doesn't actually support this mode of deployment.

That said. I do plan on updating the container semi-regularly, as it is one of the main things I run on my NAS.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Having an issue with managing instances/using them. I get this error when trying to manage them.

"This version of instance is not compatible with this ADS installation. ADS is version 1.9.8.6 but this instance is version 1.9.9.8"
Is there anyway that I can make my instances the compatible version or should I be waiting for a possible update for the container itself to the latest version?

On 6/2/2020 at 12:13 AM, mikefromdot said:

Having an issue with managing instances/using them. I get this error when trying to manage them.

"This version of instance is not compatible with this ADS installation. ADS is version 1.9.8.6 but this instance is version 1.9.9.8"
Is there anyway that I can make my instances the compatible version or should I be waiting for a possible update for the container itself to the latest version?

Sorry for the late reply. I am not sure how would end up in this state. Did you choose any options to upgrade within the web interface?

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, and thank you for the container. I am having issues however, everything seems to be set up properly. Set a username and password, when i open WebUI it comes up asking for a username and password, i enter what was configured and it's telling me invalid. I have purchased a license, it's not prompting me to enter one though

• Like 1

I've been wanting to do an update, but the releases seemed to be in flux/beta.

However, I just checked and there's a new release today that doesn't have any language that makes it sound like it's risky.

So I will try to create a image and re-test. No promises on migrating from your images to the newer container, though. In all likelihood, you will have to re-create them. We will see...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 10:07 PM, turner89 said:

Hello, and thank you for the container. I am having issues however, everything seems to be set up properly. Set a username and password, when i open WebUI it comes up asking for a username and password, i enter what was configured and it's telling me invalid. I have purchased a license, it's not prompting me to enter one though

I also had this issue. I left it as default, then once logged into the webui, click on admin at the top left corner and changed password there.

On 7/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, zingerburger said:

Docker seems to be working great though cant connect to any of my game servers. I've forwarded the game port to unraid server IP address, is there anything else I should be doing?

Figured out what the issue is. Different game servers in Amp use different ports that are not setup in the docker config. Once the game server is created have a look at what port it is using and edit the Docker container and add that port (take note if it is tcp or udp as that also caught me out). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 1:13 AM, mikefromdot said:

Having this issue now too with an updated ADS vers. Apparently the correct way to fix it is user "ampinstmgr updateall" which requires logging into the console as the amp user. Unless I'm missing something that amp user is created when you compile the docker but I have no idea how to figure out what the password is from the dockerfile. Any help?