unRaid froze/crashed?

Hey all,

I've got my server set up to shoot me a health check at midnight every night. Woke up this morning and didn't have it in my inbox. Ethernet lights were off on the mobo, but the rest of the machine was on and lit up.

I couldn't access the drives via Windows or the web interface, so I tried plugging a monitor in. Nothing. After tinkering a bit more and not having any other ideas, I pulled the UPS plug from the wall to see if that would initiate a power down. The UPS ran out (slowly...which is good ANY other time), and when it shut down, so did the server, which tells me that they weren't communicating.

Rebooted the system, everything working and a parity check started (and the disk I was preclearing I resumed).

Does this sound like a crash/freeze on unRaid's part? I probably had 1-2 Plex streams going and was preclearing a disk, but nothing else should have been going on. Does this just sometimes happen, or should I dig in a bit more before it happens again? And, if so, can I get logs other than the ones from once I rebooted? I downloaded the logs (and would attach), but they're only from after the reboot.

Thanks!

cybertron-syslog-20200304-1316.zip

22 minutes ago, Idaho121 said:

so I tried plugging a monitor in.

What did you see on the monitor screen?

You should probably setup the syslog server.  See here for instructions:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-781601

I am assuming that this is the first time this has happened.  If you have an SSD cache drive, I would be using that rather then the Flash Drive.  (It may be quite some time before it happens again...)

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

What did you see on the monitor screen?

You should probably setup the syslog server.  See here for instructions:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-781601

I am assuming that this is the first time this has happened.  If you have an SSD cache drive, I would be using that rather then the Flash Drive.  (It may be quite some time before it happens again...)

Monitor just gave me the "Check cables, no signal" message.

This is the first time it happened. I do have an SSD cache drive, so I'll get that set up - is that separate from the syslog server setup instructions you posted?

And thanks, Johnnie - I'll check that out and work through any issues!

1 hour ago, Idaho121 said:

I do have an SSD cache drive, so I'll get that set up - is that separate from the syslog server setup instructions you posted?

Third option.  You may have to setup a temporary Cache-only Share to store the file inside of.  You really don't want to use a array share as that involves a lot more disk activity. 

• Thanks 1