Will I be able to set up two VMs one with Windows 10 and one with macOS Catalina with GPU passthrough?

Hello all,

I am using Unraid for more than a year now for storage and docker apps. Could not be happier.

I currently have a Mac Mini with an eGPU enclosure with an AMD Radeon 5700XT in it.

I am going to upgrade the Unraid HW and I was thinking if I should invest on an i5/i7 put the 5700XT in the Unraid box and try and set up a Win10 VM for gaming and a MacOS VM for general use/video editing. Both of them need to be able to be GPU accelerated so I can get rid of the Mini and the eGPU enclosure.

Browsing and reading for the last hour I cannot understand whether this is doable or not. There is the dreaded navi reset bug that I understand has not been resolved in Unraid 6.8.2

So what's possible at the moment. If one uses a NVidia GPU then there are no drivers for macOS.

Is the whole thing non-approachable for the moment? If not then I will just buy a 9th gen Pentium G CPUjust for the HW transcode in Plex and abandon the whole VM scenario.

Regards

Abandon the VM scenario. If you have to use a Mac, use a proper Mac.

Going Hackintosh alone is already a risky venture, let alone going Hackintosh in a VM.

Of course, if you don't have to use a Mac then use something else. If you have a lot of money, donate to your nearest charity instead of fattening Apple's balance sheet.

3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Abandon the VM scenario. If you have to use a Mac, use a proper Mac.

Going Hackintosh alone is already a risky venture, let alone going Hackintosh in a VM.

Of course, if you don't have to use a Mac then use something else. If you have a lot of money, donate to your nearest charity instead of fattening Apple's balance sheet.

I don't have to use a Mac for work, I like the ecosystem along with my iOS devices. I prefer it for generic use and some occasional video editing. So I am willing to give hackintosh a try.

Edited by snolly
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...