MacOS share problems...

All my shares where working, then I deleted one share and my mac tried to auto-connect (login Items) to the deleted share, then all shares stopped working. So I deleted all login items, restarted, and signed in to my user, one share I can read/write, but the rest I can only read (even though my computer can see that I have read/write privilages). I checked the share settings my user has permission (I tried reseting the permissions, nothing), I tried reconnecting (again) and nothing.

These are mostly SMB shares, but my AFP share are also not allowing writes. Don't know what to do now. Thanks for any help!

software version:

Unraid: 6.8.3

MacOS: latest (10.15.4)

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 4.05.00 PM.png

Edited by tll002

Hi there,

I'm not really sure what you mean by "login items".  Can you do two things?

1)  Show us a screenshot of the error you are receiving when trying to write to a share.

2)  Please attach your system diagnostics (you can obtain these from the Tools > Diagnostics page in the webGui).

On 3/11/2020 at 5:57 PM, jonp said:

Hi there,

I'm not really sure what you mean by "login items".  Can you do two things?

1)  Show us a screenshot of the error you are receiving when trying to write to a share.

2)  Please attach your system diagnostics (you can obtain these from the Tools > Diagnostics page in the webGui).

Thanks for the response,

Login items in macOS is the launch a application at login (it also works with mounting network drives), its under system preferences>users>Login items. It should signin to the server and mount the shares, but now I cannot write to most of my shares even though I have privileges.

prime-diagnostics-20200311-2309.zip

1 hour ago, jonp said:

Thanks for the additional information, but I still would like to see a screenshot of whatever error you get when you are trying to write to the shares.

Their is no error messages because my Mac will simply not let me write to the drive (in the photo I’m dragging a file into the share, and the smallest red circle shows a cancel icon, when I release the file just doesn’t go into the share). No error message. 

-Malcolm

Edited by tll002

I wonder if it's worth changing the shares temporarily to public to see what happens?

Also I've sometimes found that relaunching the finder can un-glitch things from the Mac side. Bottom left dock icon hold alt/option with right click. There might also feasibly be a login items preference file that's become confused/corrupted, as you've changed the login items as you describe. i.e. in the process of updating itself it gets buggered up – sorry I'm not very technical in my terminology, but it does happen and trashing it can help :)

16 hours ago, awediohead said:

I wonder if it's worth changing the shares temporarily to public to see what happens?

Also I've sometimes found that relaunching the finder can un-glitch things from the Mac side. Bottom left dock icon hold alt/option with right click. There might also feasibly be a login items preference file that's become confused/corrupted, as you've changed the login items as you describe. i.e. in the process of updating itself it gets buggered up – sorry I'm not very technical in my terminology, but it does happen and trashing it can help :)

Thanks for the suggestions, tried all of them, I still cannot copy a file over to some share.

Have you tried using the connect to server function in Finder by hitting command-K and then connecting with the unraid server's IP address instead of hostname?  Should look like this smb://10.0.1.1/SHARE_NAME/ You obviously need to replace the ip with your server ip and share name.  I can rarely connected to my unraid server by clicking on it's icon in a standard finder window and even when I do I occasionally get similar symptoms to you (not being able to write the share)

Also if you have the login credentials for the unraid share saved in Keychain Access you can try deleting the credentials there which will force you to re-enter them next time you connect to the share.  This has also solved previous connection issues I've had.

2 minutes ago, mikeylikesrocks said:

Have you tried using the connect to server function in Finder by hitting command-K and then connecting with the unraid server's IP address instead of hostname?  Should look like this smb://10.0.1.1/SHARE_NAME/ You obviously need to replace the ip with your server ip and share name.  I can rarely connected to my unraid server by clicking on it's icon in a standard finder window and even when I do I occasionally get similar symptoms to you (not being able to write the share)

Also if you have the login credentials for the unraid share saved in Keychain Access you can try deleting the credentials there which will force you to re-enter them next time you connect to the share.  This has also solved previous connection issues I've had.

Thanks for the suggestion, I already tried all of them except the login credentials, I can login, read/write to some private shares, but I still tried deleting all of my servers saved keys in keychain, nothing. Thanks

Saw your email into support about this as well.  We will continue to try and recreate this in our testing lab, but so far, I have not been able to reproduce what you're seeing.  Needless to say, this is not expected behavior and we're not really sure what's causing it just yet.

1 hour ago, jonp said:

Saw your email into support about this as well.  We will continue to try and recreate this in our testing lab, but so far, I have not been able to reproduce what you're seeing.  Needless to say, this is not expected behavior and we're not really sure what's causing it just yet.

I can give you access to my systems if you would like to poke around. 

• 1 year later...