(SOLVED) Unmountable - no file system

The first disk in the array keeps going back to unmountable - no file system.  I ran pre-clear on every disk and then added disk1-4 to the array, added the cache drive, started the array and began copying some files from a windows box to the unRAID share.  If I stop the array, disk1 goes unmountable - no file system.  I also noticed my cache drive fills up and then starts tossing errors.  I've run the mover multiple times manually but that doesn't seem to change anything on the cache drive.  In my SMB global settings, the shares are set to utilize the cache drive.

See updated screenshot and diags below.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by jongregory75
Updated diags

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I've got more questions.  When did this happen?  A bunch of user (myself included) suffered from a 'disk is read only' and it all apparently happened to us late Thursday night / Early Friday morning.  For me it was my Cache/SSD that, for no reason went into a 'read only' mode. 

I'm STILL trying to fix this.  I've gotten the cache drive back to normal operation but it seems my system is suffering some sort of lingering effects from this that I'm still trying to lock down.

Edited by CoZ
typos
1 hour ago, jongregory75 said:

I also noticed my cache drive fills up and then starts tossing errors. 

You have set your m----a share to cache-prefer. Prefer means keep them on cache and if any are on the array move them to cache. Set it to cache-yes so they will be moved to the array.

Is that screenshot current?

You have filled your log space so nothing has been logged since Feb 29 06:35:01. At that time it looks like you were having connection problems on multiple disks while trying to build parity, and those problems are what has filled your log.

Skimming the SMART reports, your array disks seem to be OK. Do any of them have SMART warnings on the Dashboard?

Do you have a backup of your Flash drive? Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

Shutdown, check all connections, SATA and power, both ends, including power splitters. Then reboot and post new Diagnostics.

1 minute ago, CoZ said:

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I've got more questions.  When did this happen?  A bunch of user (myself included) suffered from a 'disk is read only' and it all apparently happened to use late Thursday night / Early Friday morning.  For me it was my Cache/SSD that, for no reason went into a 'read only' mode. 

I'm STILL trying to fix this.  I've gotten the cache drive back to normal operation but it seems my system is suffering some sort of lingering effects from this that I'm still trying to lock down.

If you want help start your own thread and post your diagnostics.

50 minutes ago, trurl said:

You have set your m----a share to cache-prefer. Prefer means keep them on cache and if any are on the array move them to cache. Set it to cache-yes so they will be moved to the array.

Noticed the cache - prefer issue, changed to yes and mover is running.  Once mover is done, I'll re-run diags and re-post .zip

Is that screenshot current?

Yes - prior to mover kicking off.

You have filled your log space so nothing has been logged since Feb 29 06:35:01. At that time it looks like you were having connection problems on multiple disks while trying to build parity, and those problems are what has filled your log.

Saw that.  I had to redo the 3.3v pin tape on two of the drives.  Started from scratch, rebuilt parity disk, did pre-clear on all disks so any of that data in the syslog is old/not applicable.

Skimming the SMART reports, your array disks seem to be OK. Do any of them have SMART warnings on the Dashboard?

Haven't seen any SMART warnings on any of the disks.  

Do you have a backup of your Flash drive? Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

No backup yet, nothing on the current system is important.  Will backup once mover finishes.  Files I've moved to the array are fully backed up on separate computer so nothing is lost except time.

Shutdown, check all connections, SATA and power, both ends, including power splitters. Then reboot and post new Diagnostics.

Once mover is finished, I'll reboot and rerun diagnostics.

4 hours ago, trurl said:

Fixed cache issue, mover completed w/o issue, created usb backup, turned off a cron scheduler to eliminate error in syslog, shutdown, checked all connections, booted up.  Disk1 shows new issue with partition.   mediamonsterv3-diagnostics-20200306-0032.zipserver.thumb.jpg.944ef082fd7e059862246ddb1b120cb7.jpg

43 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Diags don't show any disk1 issues, they do show read errors on disk4 (looks more like a power/connection problem) during the pariuty sync, so parity is invalid, because of the log spam caused by those errors it doesn't show anything more after that.

Please post current diags.

Latest diags and screenshot above.

It is very strange to now be getting an "invalid partition error", this means something changed the mbr/partition and it does no longer conform to what Unraid expects, that should never happen (unlike filesystem corruption which can happen sometimes), I suggest you reformat disk1 (any data there will be lost), copy some data then stop and re-start the array, if it goes unmountable again post new diags before rebooting.

49 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Please post ALL new information in a new post.  Never go back and update an old post with new information.  It just confuses anyone who is trying to help you.

He did put them in a new post but they were overlooked because of the way the forum formatted his screenshot. Probably best if there is some blank space included before attaching, but I'm not going to explain that every time I ask for Diagnostics.

22 minutes ago, trurl said:

He did put them in a new post but they were overlooked because of the way the forum formatted his screenshot. Probably best if there is some blank space included before attaching, but I'm not going to explain that every time I ask for Diagnostics.

My apologies to @jongregory75 as I was confused by his post which was intended as a pointer to an earlier posting and I perceived as an indicator that he had modified an earlier posting to include requested information.   Carefully reviewing the entire thread showed this was not the case. 

• jongregory75 changed the title to (SOLVED) Unmountable - no file system
6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

It is very strange to now be getting an "invalid partition error", this means something changed the mbr/partition and it does no longer conform to what Unraid expects, that should never happen (unlike filesystem corruption which can happen sometimes), I suggest you reformat disk1 (any data there will be lost), copy some data then stop and re-start the array, if it goes unmountable again post new diags before rebooting.

The order of operation is a little shady at this point but...found a preclear rpt from that drive that showed a preclear failure pointing to non-zero issue.  Ran format on the disk1. Copied a small file to the disk.  Stopped array.  Restarted array. Everything was clean.  Rebooted, all is well.  unRAID format was done in under 20 secs, I had attempted to run preclear which would have taken 15hrs so lesson learned there.

Im guessing I didn't format the drive when I added it to the array.  What effect if any will there be on the parity disk?  Should I run a parity check now that things are stable?