Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

4 hours ago, Bandit_King said:

I have tried everything I can't fix this...

What is "this"? 

4 hours ago, Bandit_King said:

Always it slows down and gives the stupid error.

What is the Error message?  (A screenshot would help here!)

EDIT: You might also be better served if you open up a new thread in this sub-forum (General Support).

Edited by Frank1940

0x8007003B Error on Win 10 When Transferring Files this appears everywhere even after mounting the drive and getting it a letter and with TAILSCALE docker.

Large files go 25% and then die and give this error.

Also SMB don't show my unraid computer.

This never happened before windows updated itself.

Edited by Bandit_King
2 hours ago, Bandit_King said:

This never happened before windows updated itself.

In the search box on the Taskbar, type  winver  

In the first paragraph, you will find the version of Windows.  In the second paragraph, you will find the edition (Home, Pro, etc.).   Report back both.

Just to verify, you can actually see the Unraid server and you have access to the shares but the errors are occurring during file transfers. 

Have you Googled  0x8007003B Error on Win 10      and looked at some of the results?

• 2 weeks later...

As I read over this thread, I realize that most of the problems are being caused by those of us (myself included) who are trying to run their Unraid network with the same LAN security protocols that existed in 2010!

In one of these support threads, I was quoted by @Batter Pudding in his/her take about this practice. The post is shown below:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/109278-cant-access-unraid-share-on-win10/?tab=comments#comment-1000312

@Batter Pudding and I started a Private Message discussion about SMB, Windows 10, Unraid, and using up-to-date security practices. I pointed out that many of us did not have the expertise to get things setup properly. Starting from that point, we assembled a detailed set of instructions with explanations as to how things work and walk you through the required steps. We even did a set of “How to” guides for each step...

Next point is that LimeTech is about to release version 6.10.0 ‘soon’™ and they have promised that it will have a 2021 security model! All that SMB security stuff that we have turning off in Windows 10, LimeTech is going to be turning-on in Unraid (and in a lot more other areas besides SMB)!

Let’s admit it. We have been playing Windows 10 “Whack-a-Mole” too long in attempting to run the Unraid SMB network with the absolute minimum of protection. It is time to bite the bullet and get our Unraid LAN networks secured to the requirements that are necessary today. Just click on the link to this thread for more details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/110580-security-is-not-a-dirty-word-unraid-windows-10-smb-setup/

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

This is super undetailed - but I scrolled down in credential manager and found a generic credential that shared a username with my server. I deleted it and was able to connect by using an IP address, thus ending my hours long saga of attempting to connect to my shares. If the solutions above haven't worked its worth a shot digging through there.

• 2 weeks later...

On WIndows 10, after days of fighting Samba, I've simply given up on SMB shares and switched to NFS under windows. I have Win 10 Pro, don't know if it's available in Win 10 Home.....

Search for "Turn Windows features on or off", scroll down to "Services for NFS" and expand, select the sub-item "Client for NFS". After searching for the feature it will install, no reboot required.

The servers dont show up in the "Network" area of file explorer, but if I enter \\tower.local\  (or \\<server-ip-address>\) then all of the NFS shares are displayed, and I can map network drives or pin to the Quick Access section just like Samba shares.

nfs-enabled.png

3 hours ago, sage2050 said:

couldn't edit my post (site's giving me a bunch of issues today) but i solved it:

edit: nevermind, solved it. That "Downloads" (capital D) folder was confusing windows. dunno how that got made. removed it and everything is fine.

OK, let's spread a little light on this issue.   Linux (and all Unix variants) treat the case as of letters as significant.  Thus, Documents and documents are the names of two different objects.   Window ignores case and, thus, Documents and documents are the same name of some object.  (Window will not allow one to create a object that has a same name that differs only in case as an existing object.)  Therefore, one of those two directories must have been named by a Linux process.  (I would suspect a Docker or a plugin.  Double check of the defined paths in their configuration settings.)  

What happens on the Window side when it encounters this situation is simple.  It processes the first one that it finds and totally ignores the other one.  In the case of two directories, if one directory is empty and that is the one that Window processes, there will be no files displayed and you will think that all of the files are 'gone'.  There is no way to fix this from the Windows side.  It most be fixed on the Linux side of the equation.  An example of the repair (on the Linux side) might be to rename Documents to Document and then you will see both directories---  Document and documents in Windows. 

Edited by Frank1940
  • 2 weeks later...

So I have this weird issue with one of my SMB shares - I recently used choezycopy (robocopy) to copy an entire external HDD to my unraid share. After doing that however, the new folder containing all these files does not show up when trying to access it using File Explorer from a Windows Laptop:

image.png.5c8aca47e8e61153bcecc102eb1246cc.png

Upon checking via unraid and a browser, I can see the folder there though:

image.png.94288122bd84fa4f347001393078f3a9.png

However, if I try to access the folder via File Explorer directly (by typing path), I am able to access it. It appears to be hidden for some reason.

I've also run ls -lah against the folder:

image.png.ca6c0cf752428d6d98881dc5799fe863.png

Does anyone know what the issue might be? I've also tried running the Fix Common Problems plugin, but it can't seem to find any issue with that folder.

9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Try running the New Permissions script (Under the Tools tab of the GUI) against the Backups share.  If that does not fix it, run the following and post a screenshot of the output:

ls -lah /mnt/user/Backups/Achini/Transcend

Thanks - I just ran it but sadly it didn't help. Here's the output of ls -lah on the Transcend folder:

image.thumb.png.edf842019a672727b51a885c9419045b.png

Also, when accessing this share via my phone I can see the Transcend folder.

9 hours ago, Squid said:

Haven't used it in quite a while because I found that robocopy absolutely had no respect for permissions or anything on the server and trashed the permissions on everything it copied.

Yes, I've sadly realised that the hard way. What do you recommend instead?

1 hour ago, Lohita said:

Also, when accessing this share via my phone I can see the Transcend folder.

What phone?   And is the access via SMB?

Have you rebooted the Windows computer?  

What version (type winver in search box on Task Bar) and is it Home, Pro or Educational?

I can see no reason why you can't see the Transcend folder/directory in that Share from your Windows Computer.  Do you have another Windows Computer that you can use to test things out?

3 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

What phone?   And is the access via SMB?

I'm using a OnePlus 8 running Android 11, and accessed the share using SMB through the ES File Explorer app.

Have you rebooted the Windows computer?  

I can see no reason why you can't see the Transcend folder/directory in that Share from your Windows Computer.  Do you have another Windows Computer that you can use to test things out?

Yup - I've rebooted it, and have also tried it on 2 other laptops also running Windows 10.

What version (type winver in search box on Task Bar) and is it Home, Pro or Educational?

The laptops are on Windows 10 Pro v. 21H1 (build 19043.1202), Windows 10 Pro v. 21H1 (build 19043.1165), and Windows 10 Enterprise v. 1909 (build 18363.1734).

This has me completely flummoxed too :D

How was the    Transcend     Directory created?   Did robocopy created it or did you do it by some other means? 

You mentioned using "choezycopy" to do the copy.  Does this mean that one or more of your systems are using non-Englished based setups? 

One thing I am thinking about is renaming the Transcend directory.  How familiar are you with the Linux command line?  (It has been years since I have done much work with it so I am really rusty) .  If you are somewhat familiar with you could   cd   to the directory  /mnt/user/Backups/Achini   (verify where you are with the pwd  command)   and use the   mv    command to rename it.   (Google is your friend for these Linux commands.)

15 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

You mentioned using "choezycopy" to do the copy.  Does this mean that one or more of your systems are using non-Englished based setups? 

No, they're both English based setups, but I only used that as a gui through which to use robocopy.

I tried renaming it and it didn't work, so I used rsync to copy it to a new folder in the same folder and I can see the new folder and browse it just fine.

The moral of the story seems to be avoid using choezycopy/robocopy lol.

Thanks a lot for all the help!