Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

Thanks mate, got the message.

But I'm still having issues with Windows 10 PRO Creators Update 1703 (10.0.15063). I0ve the issues both with 6.3.5 and 6.4.0-RC6 I'm unable to authenticate in the Unraid box via Samba. The option sugested to disable SMB 3.x and SMB 2.x it's not posible to prevent ramsoware atacks that usually spread via SMB 1.0

Thanks

1 hour ago, mmgarci30 said:

But I'm still having issues with Windows 10 PRO Creators Update 1703 (10.0.15063). I0ve the issues both with 6.3.5 and 6.4.0-RC6 I'm unable to authenticate in the Unraid box via Samba.

Describe your issue(s) in detail.  What you are doing.  How your have your shares setup --- Particularity with regard to security settings.  And exactly what error messages you are getting and what you were doing when you got them. 

• 2 months later...

I dont really know if I should post my issue here or in a different new post. Having some weird performance problems with installing my Windows 10, 8, Server 2016 or 2012 on unRaid. Loading the OS (For installment) takes forever, seeing only like 600kb of read speeds from the SSD's. Have tried an Debian installment which just flies without any troubles.

My setup:

Asrock EP2c602-4l/d1

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2665

64 GB Samsung DDR3 ECC

2 x Goodram 480GB SSD

Installed unRaid on my USB stick and it boots just fine. Please let my know if you need anything else, or if I need to post this somewhere else.

With regards,

Mark

33 minutes ago, Mark Rotteveel said:

Installed unRaid on my USB stick and it boots just fine. Please let my know if you need anything else, or if I need to post this somewhere else.

It is always best to start a new thread if you have any doubts that your problem is related to the original issue (threads are cheap like digital film) rather than posting to an old thread like this one.  Plus, this original discussion in the thread was more about SMB  and other networking issues.

When you do that give the complete specs on the system including how you were setting up the sdd drives, any passthrough of devices and what OS you want installed on this server.   Also provide the diagnostics files.    'Tools'   >>>   'Diagnostics'    and attach that to the first post. 

• Upvote 1
On 12/22/2016 at 4:14 PM, RobJ said:

Collecting related posts (because different methods have helped different users) -

* For login failures, especially with 6.3.0

* Another post from Tom, with a step by step procedure

* Tom's post on managing credentials, and clearing them

* Enabling older Samba authentication, also tips on debugging Samba connection issues

* Posts about reverting to SMB 2.0.2

* How to downgrade SMB

* Using 2 different Windows credentials for different shares

* The Local Master plugin

* Local Master, the LM plugin, and workgroup names - plus the followup 3 posts down (about workgroups and election)

* Keeps asking "Enter Network Password" - suggests using guest with no password

* Using the hosts file worked?

* Registry fix to keep your Windows 10 box from becoming the master browser

* Clear summary post, with comment about Win 10 updates

* config/smb-extra.conf

* Anonymous Login on Windows 7 - might work for other Windows versions too?

* more to come, as we find them or they are reported to us ...  (calling all fixes!  anyone that knows of a helpful tip - please inform us!)

How about adding something like make sure all your "extra" packages are compatible with slackware version.  Bit me hard.  The push button upgrades are great, but can sure bite you...

• 3 months later...

Apparently there is another round of problems with Windows 10 computers (which have updated recently) having difficulties connecting to an unRAID server using SMB.  You might want to look here fro a possible solution.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

There is a possibility that the Samba group may have a fix for this in the near/distance(?)  future.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

@Frank1940, the recommendation from that microsoft.com link works, at least partially. While they claim Windows 10 Home and Professional are unchanged, well, they are. I still can't browse from Windows Explorer, but previously, from the cmd prompt, I was getting this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir \\tower\roland
The request is not supported.

Now I get a directory listing back. And if I type \\tower\roland directly into explorer, I can browse. I'm not sure why the host isn't showing up automatically. I've already tried the tweak to the samba configuration to force unraid to be the local master, but no joy there. 

• 4 weeks later...

The computer discovery service has a dependency on SMB1 service, which is disabled.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd0af6aa-51ec-477a-8c81-888a4e60bd94/master-browser-service-broken-after-creator-update?forum=win10itpronetworking

From Windows support page:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

Because the Computer Browser service relies on SMBv1, the service is uninstalled if the SMBv1 client or server is uninstalled.
This means that Explorer Network can no longer display Windows computers through the legacy NetBIOS datagram browsing method.

Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation.
If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.

Probably explains why everything seems fine and then one day SMB stops working.

In my case doing nothing accept adding my unraid server to the windows hosts file seems to have made Windows aware of the server and restoring full access.

1 hour ago, dabl said:

Are there any disadvantages to turning on SMB1.0/CIFS support in windows 10 clients?

As I recall, this is primarily a security issue.  You have to decide whether the 'risk' in allowing version 1.0 to run is worth being able to to browser your shares.  (If you trust the folks who can browse your network, you should be alright.) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I have followed this for Windows 7 help and tried just about everything. I did the upgrade from 5.12  to 6.41 and could see TOWER server on most of the computers (Windows 10 is a know issue, but that's another story) except my Windows 7 main computer. So I was about to do the Nuke option (Reinstall Windows) then my son asked if I had tried to go back to an earlier copy of my  Restore Files. So I tried and went back to November of last year. Needless to say I now can see my TOWER server. I'm still trying to figure out what in the Windows update caused this if that was even the issue. I have disable any updates install form Windows. So happy to get my system working again. Hope this can help someone else. My head hurts, time for a nap. 

• 3 weeks later...

The majority of failures in a SMB network are related to name resolution errors. The solution is to set your Unraid server to a static ip (such as 192.168.1.100) and when you map the drives in a windows explorer window type in \\192.168.1.100 - it should as you for authentication. Type in your username & password, click 'remember'.

Once it opens you can right click on the share and 'map network drive' assign it to a local drive letter and it's mapped.

Now if you're on a domain, or are using a WinS server you can avoid having to it statically, but seriously how many home users are going to have a domain/wins server?

Sometimes windows gets stupid and forgets the mapping - you will then have to right click on the drive in 'my computer' and 'remove drive' ... and remap it after a reboot.

SMB is pretty good - it's just it's craptastic nameresolution that sucks. Go static IP no more problems.

*** edit

Now if you want to be smooth, just edit the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  .... add in your server and name, it blammo name resolution works for every windows/linux pc you fix the hosts on .... little more of a pita on a firestick tho.

Edited by dimaestro
more info
10 hours ago, dimaestro said:

The majority of failures in a SMB network are related to name resolution errors. The solution is to set your Unraid server to a static ip (such as 192.168.1.100) and when you map the drives in a windows explorer window type in \\192.168.1.100

That's one solution. Another is to fix your local DNS, typically by running a real router or a pfsense box instead of a $20 generic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Here is a link to fix WIN10 problems of not being able to access shares.  Basically, MS has turned off SMB1/CIFS for WIN10 and thus turned off support for  HomeGroups.  Here is a very good explanation on how to enable SMB1/CIFS again. 

I didn't have to do this. I have an entry for my server in my Windows machine's hosts file and not having any issues.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:20 PM, SSD said:

I didn't have to do this. I have an entry for my server in my Windows machine's hosts file and not having any issues. 

Yes, that obviously works as well, although, some users have said placing the unRAID server in the hosts file did not resolve it for them.  I suspect that maybe they did not properly edit the hosts file, save did not work because it was read-only, or some other issue with this method.

I have found that some are capable of editing the hosts file and are familiar with its nuances, and, some are not.  The control panel method I mentioned seems to work for almost everyone with the problem and the control panel is something with which most Windows users are familiar whereas the hosts file is a mystery to many.

Whatever ever works, works and the control panel method is certainly not "better" than editing the hosts file; it's just another way skin the cat as Frank said.

• JorgeB pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic
  • JorgeB pinned this topic