Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

It was with mixed emotions that I found an entire thread to this. It is nice, though, to know that I am not alone. :|

Can NO LONGER get my unRAID share to appear in Windows Manager, Windows 7 64-bit. It worked perfectly for several years and now "poof" although It has been several months/more than 6 mos maybe since I tried to access it this way to add content. (It's a JRiver Media Server.) <light went on> I just booted my Linux box running JRiver and unRAID share is not accessible from there either. <sigh> I was just about to list all of the things I found on this thread that I tried. Guess I should anyway, at least the ones that are unRAID server-related.

My unRAID is v6.6.6 but was 6.6 before I upgraded it 30 mins ago. About 6 mos ago I upped it to 6.6 from .. I forget, but the GUI was not the one that is on this version. It is a static IP, set to be the local master. I just installed the Dynamix plugin and it verified it was the local master. I can ping the IP address from my Windows box and it appears on Fing. Thundar file manager (on the Linux box with JRiver) lists the main unRAID server share but says inaccessible.

Now I am thinking that I have posted on the wrong thread ... please move it if so. Otherwise, where do I start?? :)

BTW, the GUI is accessible from my browser.

Edited by pepar
added

Something also happened to my server after upgrading to 6.6.

Server was named storage but was renamed to storagemain for testing.

Added DNS record so both storage and storagemain both point to the same IP.

"ping storage" - works fine

"ping storagemain" - works fine

\\storagemain - works fine

\\storage - FAILS

http://storage/ - works fine

http://storagemain/ - works fine

9 minutes ago, pepar said:

I’ll look at naming. Maybe I should delete all shares and redo them?

You can't delete any shares that aren't empty, and user shares are just the top level folders on the disks. So to delete a share you would have to delete all of its data first. He was talking about his server name.

That said, SMB does have some idiosyncrasies about names that sometimes get people in trouble. And Microsoft has been tinkering with SMB on their side that sometimes breaks access with non-Windows computers.

Maybe you should

2 hours ago, pepar said:

list all of the things I found on this thread that I tried.

58 minutes ago, trurl said:

That said, SMB does have some idiosyncrasies about names that sometimes get people in trouble. And Microsoft has been tinkering with SMB on their side that sometimes breaks access with non-Windows computers.

unRAID is Linux and my JRiver box is Linux, and the latter can no longer access the former’s shares. I’ll bet if I get that fixed Windows will again be able to access my unRAID shares.

1 hour ago, pepar said:

I can’t UNshare??

You can set any of your User Shares to not be exported on the network, but they will still exist on the server because their folders are still there. You can change the name of your shares, which will rename their folder(s). Probably not really relevant to your problem though.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your next post.

5 hours ago, pepar said:

Can NO LONGER get my unRAID share to appear in Windows Manager, Windows 7 64-bit. It worked perfectly for several years and now "poof" although It has been several months/more than 6 mos maybe since I tried to access it this way to add content. (It's a JRiver Media Server.) <light went on> I just booted my Linux box running JRiver and unRAID share is not accessible from there either. <sigh> I was just about to list all of the things I found on this thread that I tried. Guess I should anyway, at least the ones that are unRAID server-related.

Are you using a 'Work network' setup?  About six months ago MS turned off network discovery for the 'Work' type of networking setup.  You can get around this by using the 'HomeGroup' setting instead.  

Beyond that you can use the IP address of the server to access your server.  When I first encountered this I manually used the IP addresses of the server to open up each server path I wanted in Windows Explorer.  I then dragged that address from Windows Explorer and created a shortcut to it on my Desktop.  If you need several such shortcuts, you can create a folder on the Desktop and name it something like "Network View" and drag those shortcuts into it.  

Edited by Frank1940

Am using Windows 7 .. I thought it was 10 that they minkeyed with? I did find and execute the commands that enable SMB1, SMB2 and SMB3. I tried using the IP address in Windows ... but remember my Linux box can not access the shares either. And my unRAID is Linux as well, so it doesn’t seem like the problem is Windoze.

Will dig into this more today.

Poking around I noticed that there are no exported shares. I don't recall ever having any ... just user shares. Problem?

Poking further, for the Share Settings for the Media "folder" (where all of my media contect is stored), I have SMB User Access set for my user ID and it is read/write. Under "Users" that user has a password set. I don't recall if any there ever were any Disc Shares listed in the Shares page. But worked swimmingly. :)

Trying to do my due diligence while waiting for "analysis" ... I have no networkstats plugin.

Edited by pepar
10 minutes ago, pepar said:

Poking around I noticed that there are no exported shares. I don't recall ever having any ... just user shares. Problem?

When I was talking about exported shares, I meant a 'User Share' actually has to be set up to be exported via SMB, NFS and/or AFP.  First, you turn on the Protocol under the Settings tab.  Then you have to chose which shares you are going to actually export (make available) using those protocols under the Share tab for each of your User Shares.  You click on the Share 'name' in the "Name" column to get to these settings.  

Did you see this in your syslog:

Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: Starting services...
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: shcmd (2685): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root: Starting Samba:  /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root:                  /usr/sbin/smbd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root:                  /usr/sbin/winbindd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: shcmd (2685): exit status: 1

An exit status of         usually means a failure for most Linux processes!   I looked at my syslog and did not have this last line.  

On 12/5/2017 at 2:36 PM, Frank1940 said:

Apparently there is another round of problems with Windows 10 computers (which have updated recently) having difficulties connecting to an unRAID server using SMB.  You might want to look here fro a possible solution.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

There is a possibility that the Samba group may have a fix for this in the near/distance(?)  future.

In 2019 this saved my day

Thanks, all. It was fixed when all I did was to check each setting to make sure it was correct. I changed nothing! Yes, at the moment I completed visiting every setting, the shares appeared and were accessible from my Debian JRiver server box as well as from my Windows 7 workstation from where I move content to the unRAID.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 2:02 PM, Frank1940 said:

When I was talking about exported shares, I meant a 'User Share' actually has to be set up to be exported via SMB, NFS and/or AFP.  First, you turn on the Protocol under the Settings tab.  Then you have to chose which shares you are going to actually export (make available) using those protocols under the Share tab for each of your User Shares.  You click on the Share 'name' in the "Name" column to get to these settings.  

Did you see this in your syslog:

Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: Starting services...
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: shcmd (2685): /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root: Starting Samba:  /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root:                  /usr/sbin/smbd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower root:                  /usr/sbin/winbindd -D
Jan  9 13:50:03 DeerhillTower emhttpd: shcmd (2685): exit status: 1

An exit status of         usually means a failure for most Linux processes!   I looked at my syslog and did not have this last line.  

Great forum and a lot of great help. Thanks, everyone.

I just set up my Unraid/Plex server and was having problems with this issue. This post gave me what I needed.

In Firefox, when you click on the "Share tab for each of your User Shares," it is just showing a blank page. Once the light went on after reading this post, I was able to make the changes I needed quickly using the Microsoft Edge browser. I don't know if anyone here can fix this, but it would be nice to be able to make these changes in Firefox as well.

One other thing. What is the difference in the unraid security settings between 'pubic, secure and private'? Probably what I actually want to understand here are the nuances of the "Secure" setting.

Edited by Spartacus
1 minute ago, Spartacus said:

In Firefox, the "Share tab for each of your User Shares" is just showing a blank page.

This should not be the case!  Do you have an Popup Blockers, Privacy, or Security apps installed on Firefox.  If you do, whitelist your Unraid server GUI address.  This is the usual cause for these types of issues.  UnRaid's GUI has been designed and tested to work with all of the major browsers.  

• JorgeB pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic
  • JorgeB pinned this topic