Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

11 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What is the difference in the unraid security settings between 'pubic, secure and private'? Probably what I actually want to understand here are the nuances of the "Secure" setting.

Clicking Help should tell you, but

Public - All users have RW access

Secure - All users have R access, selected users have W access

Private - only selected users have either R, W, or RW access

And then you add in "hidden" which means that the user has to know the share name in order to access it as it won't show up in any list

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Frank1940 said:

This should not be the case!  Do you have an Popup Blockers, Privacy, or Security apps installed on Firefox.  If you do, whitelist your Unraid server GUI address.  This is the usual cause for these types of issues.  UnRaid's GUI has been designed and tested to work with all of the major browsers.  

Yes, I have a very impressive array of pop-up blockers, ad-killers, spam-eliminators and so on.

What is interesting is that this is the only page in the entire (Firefox) unraid web interface that is behaving this way. All of the other pages are behaving just fine, to the best of my knowledge. Only the drill down page for the user shares are acting up.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Clicking Help should tell you, but

Public - All users have RW access

Secure - All users have R access, selected users have W access

Private - only selected users have either R, W, or RW access

And then you add in "hidden" which means that the user has to know the share name in order to access it as it won't show up in any list

That's awesome. Thanks.

I have been doing google searches, searches of this forum and a variety of other research exercises in order to get all of this set up and working. With the last problem I mentioned, I think I am there. I am probably getting a little tired and maybe a little lazy as I start to wind down.

I really do not want to wear you guys out. I appreciate your patience. Thanks again for your help.

10 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

What is interesting is that this is the only page in the entire (Firefox) unraid web interface that is behaving this way.

It's because of the word "Share"  An ad-blocker seems to think that the whole page is nothing but a link to share something via FaceBook.  As an aside, the settings page for Fix Common Problems includes a test that *should* pop up a warning if an ad-blocker is interfering with the UI as a whole (and at least one user had an ad-blocker screwing with the Apps Tab because it had an element called "templates_content" and "MainArea" -> don't those just scream "this is an ad to you?")

All in all, everytime an ad-blocker blocks an ad, any given website will change the element's name so that it gets through, and the ad-blocker then has to issue an update to compensate which results in more and more false positives, not just with unRaid, but with any given random website available.

• 2 weeks later...

An Excellent Video from @SpaceInvaderOne on SMB shares and Windows permission issues.  If you are having problems accessing shares be sure to watch this first as he goes through the 'gotchas' that are are a part of Windows SMB access.  He shows as well as explains the symptoms and the solutions to these types of issues.  Well worth the thirty minutes it takes to watch it even if you are not having an issue now. 

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, JoeSpohn said:

I have a similar issue but have no idea of how to deal with it.

We have no idea what your similar situation is!  You will have to provide much more information about your problem.  Please, before you respond, read this thread backwards and see if any of the solutions will fix your problem.  

• 1 month later...

I'm having a problem that has only appeared since I've updated my PCs to Windows 10 1903.  I can no longer drag and drop files onto network shares (files with the green pipe coming out of them) or even paste on to them.  I have to open the network share first so there is a folder view, then I can drop or paste on the white space to add them to the root of that network share.  This is super unproductive.  It's likely not unRaids fault, but I also find it hard to see why MS would do this on purpose.  Hoping there is some tweak to restore this ability between the server or the clients.

I can drop files on to the network share directly in the bread crumb bar but technically that represents the open folder so I guess it's treated differently.

Annotation 2019-07-03 150729.png

Edited by thespooler
20 hours ago, thespooler said:

I'm having a problem that has only appeared since I've updated my PCs to Windows 10 1903.  I can no longer drag and drop files onto network shares (files with the green pipe coming out of them) or even paste on to them.  I have to open the network share first so there is a folder view, then I can drop or paste on the white space to add them to the root of that network share.  This is super unproductive.  It's likely not unRaids fault, but I also find it hard to see why MS would do this on purpose.  Hoping there is some tweak to restore this ability between the server or the clients.

I can drop files on to the network share directly in the bread crumb bar but technically that represents the open folder so I guess it's treated differently.

Have same problem, cut/paste some huge files onto my Unraid server and after copy the folders are empty!

20 hours ago, thespooler said:

@siamsquare, @thespooler, have you try setting up an shared folder on another 1903 WIN10 (or even an earlier version of Win10) , mapping that share and doing the same operation to determine if the operation what the result is for that case.  

I suspect that is strictly a WIN10 1903 issue.  Hopefully, you will then make the issue known to MS so it can be addressed...

Edited by Frank1940

First thing.  Did you read this thread?  There are a lot of solutions to this type of problem already in it.  (Windows error messages are usually cryptic and often have nothing to do with the actual problem.) 

Second thing.  This sounds like it is might be related to this problem.  Be sure to read the follow-on  posts as they discuss other variations of this basic problem. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

If this is not the issue. You will need to provide a lot more info beginning with what you have tried in trying to fix the problem.  Windows has a tendency to store things and reuse that info 'behind' your back.   (In fact, you might be better served if you created a new thread with a title like 'Can't access Unraid array from WIN10 VM'.)   

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

First thing.  Did you read this thread?  There are a lot of solutions to this type of problem already in it.  (Windows error messages are usually cryptic and often have nothing to do with the actual problem.) 

Second thing.  This sounds like it is might be related to this problem.  Be sure to read the follow-on  posts as they discuss other variations of this basic problem. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/25064-user-share-problem/?tab=comments#comment-228392

If this is not the issue. You will need to provide a lot more info beginning with what you have tried in trying to fix the problem.  Windows has a tendency to store things and reuse that info 'behind' your back.   (In fact, you might be better served if you created a new thread with a title like 'Can't access Unraid array from WIN10 VM'.)   

its a fresh install of windows server 2016 and i just get that error i didnt do anything just installed it then i installed the drivers and tried to access the shares and i get this

i can ping devices on my network just fine and if i put ip of other computers i get the login promt but not for my server ip

1 hour ago, technomancer__ said:

i can ping devices on my network just fine and if i put ip of other computers i get the login promt but not for my server ip

It sounds like Windows has some stored credentials and is using them to try and login to your Unraid server.  (You don't get a prompt in this case, only that it has failed...) 

In the search bar in the lower-left corner of the Taskbar, you will find a search box.  Type Windows Credential Manager in there and goto that Control Panel app and see what is there. 

8 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

It sounds like Windows has some stored credentials and is using them to try and login to your Unraid server.  (You don't get a prompt in this case, only that it has failed...) 

In the search bar in the lower-left corner of the Taskbar, you will find a search box.  Type Windows Credential Manager in there and goto that Control Panel app and see what is there. 

this was the first thing i tried to do (people already said it in this thread) so i tried and there is nothing

Capture.PNG

Have you gone to    Control Panel   >>>   Network and Sharing Center   See what the setting is for the Active Network.  Notice that mine is set for Private Network.   

image.png.29a346e47b6baaf8fd276924f196f140.png  

Look in the Left Panel for Change Advanced Sharing Options  and click on it.   Let's stop as MS and you may have a bit of difference opinion of what 'Private' and 'Guest and Public' mean at first glance.  'Private' means a very controlled network in that all users are fairly trustworthy.  'Guest and Public' means an airport, coffee shop, etc.  ('Home' is now gone with the latest WIN10 versions.  If you still have that option, it will be gone soon!)  Since my Network is a Private Network, My settings for this are shown below:

image.png.c03c35b9ff4fe36a10aca949b009ac60.png

Now for the 'All Networks' Section:  These are my settings:

image.png.4f7fa50ab5f4413bfddf32c1e5aae7f8.png

While I may have my security settings a bit loose for you, they are a starting point.  

WOW:   While googling to answer some questions that I have (I am relatively new WIN10 user),  I found this video which will walk you through changing the type of network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeo7O6ImAo

EDIT:    Also make sure that you do this:

image.png.5ffb142400724e96dd0dc0319895bea1.png

Edited by Frank1940
  • Upvote 1

click turn windows features on or of and the add roles and extra features wizard popped up from there i installed the services you suggested and it didn't work (same error) but i had an idea and managed to fix it. if you have this issue just install those services and then go to

control panel/credentials manager

from there click on add a windows credential. now enter your ip or computer name, username, and password and it will work

btw if you enter your ip and you try to access from your computer name or vise versa it wont work you have to add the name. (you can add both at the same time)

hope this helps someone in the future

• 1 month later...

Here comes the 1st post N00b.
Greetings all, I'm getting suicidal and desperate at this point since I've gone through pretty much all of this thread and nothing has helped me yet.
Installed Unraid 6.7.2 and have been troubleshooting for the last 20 days of my 30 day trial (maybe 15 of 20 since I get irritated nothing is helping and walk away for a day or two)
Installed ok on server.
Recognised HDDs and SSD.
Made a user share and got the array started and let the sync/check run.

And that's where I'm stuck, trying to move files across the network to the share.
Can't login to share from my Windows 8.1 PC.

Have watched the spaceinvader initial setup vids and I've done everything as is meant to be done.
Made my Media share public.
Tried multiple user logins to the share (both with and without passwords).

Server has static IP and router has Static IP for server set.
I can login to the console over the network so the IP is working fine.

Tried the local master plugin (Turned off everything in my network other than the server and my UPS but no yoda head has shown up even after a half hour or more)

Tried to use the LANscan 2.01 tool but it doesn't look to be doing much... Is there an earlier version that actually works?

Tried playing with SMB settings on Win8.1 and that hasn't helped.
Also used the SMB Extra commands in this thread... Hasn't helped.
All the other windows settings (Network discovery, etc) is turned on as it should be.

Windows just keeps popping up with an access denied window when I try to log-in while trying to map the drive/share.

You think it's worth removing the UPS from the network (It is network attached) and seeing if yodas head pops up for me?
Any other silly things I'm missing?
Was sort of wondering if it's a Win 8.1 specific issue but have tried with my Win 7 laptop and it doesn't want to connect either.

3 hours ago, Steve Bal4 said:

Windows just keeps popping up with an access denied window when I try to log-in while trying to map the drive/share.

have a look at this post and the next several after it:

Have a look at the Credentials Manager (in Control Panel) settings and see if you have any at all.  If you do, try deleting them. (Sorry, I have no idea how to get to the Control panel in WIN8...)  Windows provides for ways to automate the login procedure and then things happen in the background.  Also, you are only allow ONE login to a server for each computer connected to it.  So if you get logged in automatically, you usually can't establish a second connection.  Another caution, 'root' is also not allowed as a SMB user. 

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

have a look at this post and the next several after it:

Have a look at the Credentials Manager (in Control Panel) settings and see if you have any at all.  If you do, try deleting them. (Sorry, I have no idea how to get to the Control panel in WIN8...)  Windows provides for ways to automate the login procedure and then things happen in the background.  Also, you are only allow ONE login to a server for each computer connected to it.  So if you get logged in automatically, you usually can't establish a second connection.  Another caution, 'root' is also not allowed as a SMB user. 

Yeah, gone through the whole Credentials Manager thing and tried deleting them, then tried adding them before trying to map the drive... Neither helped.
Also found that Win8.1 doesn't let you have a single name login. (Trying to do whats in the link you shared)
Unraid needs a login with no spaces while my windows account login is Steve B (with a space) and windows straight up rejects you if you try to set a single name login. (Maybe a Win8.1 thing?)
So that workaround isn't helping me unfortunately.

Not trying to login as 'root'
Currently have 3 accounts on unraid
'root' (console only login)
'steve' (read/write access setup in SMB settings for the share) - has password set
'guest' (read only access setup in SMB setting for the share) - no password set/blank
Both these logins fail.

Might have to get rid of the UPS connection to the network and see if that helps the local master situation.

You should not need 'guest' user.  Unraid is setup so that everyone can access any share whose security set to 'Public'.  (They will have read-write access.)  If you set a share's security to 'Secure',  everyone will have read access to the share.  If you make the security 'Private,  only assigned users will have access will have any access to that share.  (When you assign users to shares with 'Secure' and 'Private' settings, you can give them 'read-only' or 'read-write' privileges.)

Now for the bad news, virtually always these access problems on the Window end once you have address the general SMB name and auto-login issues.  For even more bad news for you, you are a member of a very small number of users running Win8.1.   (Most of us are using WIN7 or Win10.)  MS has been addressing perceived corporate-level security issues in WIN10 ever since its release.  Keeping WIN10 things working has been an ever moving target as these changes often happen via the auto-update path and some folks never realize that they have occurred!  Things just stop working...

There is a thread for the fixes and workarounds.  You can find it here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/ 

The first posts on the first page or two deal with general SMB issues (Make sure you have address those that might apply to you.)  and the balance are deal with the WIN10 problems.  How much of the WIN10 updates were ported back to WIN8 is something that I don't know. 

LANscan 2.01 works on my WIN10 computer.  (It finds my two Unraid servers, two WIN10 Computers, two networked printers, and three Ruku boxes!)  If it is not listing a computer (hopefully your Unraid server) as the MASTER, you have an issue.  (You really, really want your server to be the Local Master in these situations!)   Your WIN8 computer and the Unraid server should be in the same workgroup.

Just a quick note that there is anther solution to this problem without enabling SMB1. Microsoft has replaced SMB with "Function Discovery" (in a manner of speaking) and there is a daemon / script that enables that for Linux.

I have "Instructions" in the thread here:

forums.unraid.net/topic/82765-solved-windows-network-working-with-no-smb1/ 

Kevin

• Like 1
  • JorgeB pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic
  • JorgeB pinned this topic