Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

I now know what the issue is and a temporary way of fixing it but in the long run i would really like to see the unraid team recreate the issue on their end and fix it, perhaps upgrading SMB on the unraid would be something to do?

Here's a thread explaining the issue:

On 8/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, Frank1940 said:

For anyone who has never ending problems with SMB and Window 10, If you are using WIN10 PRO (or above), you can use NFS instead of SMB.  You will need to be somewhat comfortable in the use of the command line in Windows (called Command Prompt in WIN10).  Note that this will require that you mount your NFS share(s) as a mapped drive(s) in Windows.  If you want to minimize the number of mapped drives, I would suggest using   /mnt/user0  as the mount point.  The following article describes the steps that are necessary.

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

I have not yet tried this but it seems fairly straight forward.  Enabling the NFS services will add another command to the Windows shell-- mount which is used to setting up the mapped drive on your Windows computer.  Note that in the instructions, it is setting up the anonymous user as root which could be a potential security risk.  

I decided to give this a go and was able to successfully mount to my NFS share for Plex. In doing some testing, though, I'm noticing that both SMB and NFS have pretty bad (relative) scan times when it comes to my Plex libraries (around 2-10 Mbps in my Windows network throughput graph).

On my Windows machine (PMS), I've tried changing the mount to use nolock and have also tried TCP / UDP / TCP + UDP for the NFS client.

On my unRAID server, I've tried Auto / Yes for the the Tunable (enable Direct IO) setting.

The machines are connected via ethernet on the same network.

My shares are running using 5400 RPM 6 GB/s spin disks, and my Plex library is structured like this:

/mnt/user/plex/movies/{movie_name} (movie_year}/{movie_name}.{ext}

Using Crystal Disk Mark, I'm able to get decent synthetic scores (30MB/s NFS vs 63MB/s SMB sequential read), so I'm not entirely sure what's causing the slow scanning. (I also was expecting NFS to generally outperform SMB, but it was only better in random read / write, while SMB was better in sequential)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can beef up my connection so that I'm able to push more than a few Mbps?

Edited by Ezro
  • 2 weeks later...

Recent convert from a Server 2016 Essentials server to Unraid and I am getting the "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name are not allowed" issue on my password-protected share.

This wasn't an issue with the shares on the 2016 Essentials box. I could authenticate to a share using domain\user even though I sign into my PC as a Microsoft account and I wasn't joined to AD.

Interestingly, if I change the permissions on the share from read/write to read-only, then back to read/write, I can authenticate and get access once, then back to the error.

1 hour ago, tojoski said:

Recent convert from a Server 2016 Essentials server to Unraid and I am getting the "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name are not allowed" issue on my password-protected share.

Have you read either of the threads you posted in?

9 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you read either of the threads you posted in?

Yes, both of them.  It's just frustrating.

Creating a user account on Unraid to match the account on the Windows 10 box is not a great solution.
And since its a Microsoft account, I don't think it's even possible on the Unraid side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, Ezro said:

I decided to give this a go and was able to successfully mount to my NFS share for Plex. In doing some testing, though, I'm noticing that both SMB and NFS have pretty bad (relative) scan times when it comes to my Plex libraries (around 2-10 Mbps in my Windows network throughput graph).

On my Windows machine (PMS), I've tried changing the mount to use nolock and have also tried TCP / UDP / TCP + UDP for the NFS client.

On my unRAID server, I've tried Auto / Yes for the the Tunable (enable Direct IO) setting.

The machines are connected via ethernet on the same network.

My shares are running using 5400 RPM 6 GB/s spin disks, and my Plex library is structured like this:

/mnt/user/plex/movies/{movie_name} (movie_year}/{movie_name}.{ext}

Using Crystal Disk Mark, I'm able to get decent synthetic scores (30MB/s NFS vs 63MB/s SMB sequential read), so I'm not entirely sure what's causing the slow scanning. (I also was expecting NFS to generally outperform SMB, but it was only better in random read / write, while SMB was better in sequential)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can beef up my connection so that I'm able to push more than a few Mbps?

i'm not up on all your posts, but have you tried just making the unraid server also the plex server via docker? 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, threiner said:

Seems that nobody care about this problems here... since 6 month no solution 

You are responding to a two year old topic and it is unclear to what problem you are referring to (if any at all).

If you have an issue open a new topic. People in this forum generally respond helpful and quick.

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

You are responding to a two year old topic and it is unclear to what problem you are referring to (if any at all).

If you have an issue open a new topic. People in this forum generally respond helpful and quick.

He's been on another thread:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/79454-file-transfer-results-in-error-0x8007003b/

for several months but it has been kind of frustrating trying to get any useful information.

Just wanted to share my share experience

I've been running Unraid for many years, and mostly SMB has worked without problems

Tonight however, my work laptop was unable to access my smb share.

However my unraid virtual win10 machine could, and also my gf laptop

I went through most of the tips, and the one that worked was going to windows credentials. I saw \\tower there with my work laptop credentials for some reasons

I deleted it, and then when I tried to access my smb drive I had to set in user and password (which I thing is a bit strange since I don't think you should need user&pass for that access, but anyway)
I entered my unraid user and password, and then it finally worked 

So thanks to the one that talked about the windows credentials

Edited by flokason
  • 1 month later...

So I guess I have to ask for help here. I am having the infamous not being able to write to private share issue. I can access all of the shares just fine but I can't write to private shares. I can write to public shares.

What I tried so far:

• I have matched the username and passwords between windows 10 and unraid.
  • tried the use net * /delete command
  • restarted win machine couple of times
  • installed the loclal master plugin and made sure the unraid server is the local master
  • removed all credentials from win10
  • restarted win machine again

I can write to private shares from macOS without any issues.

Edited by Godvader
1 hour ago, Godvader said:

I can access all of the shares just fine but I can't write to private shares. I can write to public shares.

This is typically caused by windows brain dead behaviour. Once access is granted, no attempts to use updated credentials will be made, despite windows asking for new credentials.

So, you MUST access the most restrictive share first, if windows opens a public share first it's game over.

Try setting ALL your shares to private, to force windows to use the correct credentials initially.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godvader said:

So I guess I have to ask for help here. I am having the infamous not being able to write to private share issue. I can access all of the shares just fine but I can't write to private shares. I can write to public shares.

And if I remember correctly, if you use your windows log in credentials as your Unraid credentials, Windows will use them even when you log into a public share. 

This could solve your problem.  But you have to setup Windows to require that you log into your Windows computer and then setup a user on Unraid using those same user name and password.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there

The question is if there is a problem with Windows 10 Home version accessing the unraid server.

I have a pc with Windows 10 Pro and can access it fine but with the Home version I can´t access it.

I can see the openVPN profile where it tries to access the duckdns domain, but comes up with an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, Dori said:

Hello there

The question is if there is a problem with Windows 10 Home version accessing the unraid server.

I have a pc with Windows 10 Pro and can access it fine but with the Home version I can´t access it.

I can see the openVPN profile where it tries to access the duckdns domain, but comes up with an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Unraid definitely works with Windows 10 Home edition.

But I don't understand why you would bring openVPN and duckdns into this at all.

This thread is mostly about accessing your Unraid user shares from a Windows PC on your LAN. Are you having a problem with that? If not then explain your problem in more detail.

I may move this part of the discussion to its own thread, or possibly split it into another support thread if appropriate.

I have been trying to fix my issue for some time with no luck.  I can navigate to unraid via IP address fine, but //tower doesn't work and it doesn't show under Network.  I can map Unraid locations but you can't map the root and I don't want more than a dozen mapped locations.  For years \\tower worked just fine.

I've read many threads on here and tried their various solutions:  enable SMB v1, enable guest access in SMB v2, add 192.168.1.42  tower to the host file, checked for and deleted any references to unraid in Windows credentials, ensured Unraid is the local master and even renamed the Unraid server.  All with no luck.

If I type in \\tower in Windows file explorer it pops up a window saying Windows cannot access //tower - error code 0x80004005.

I would love to get this working again.  Can anyone offer any further suggestions?

EDIT:  I had a typo in my host file and now I can type \\tower and it works,  but it still won;t show up under Network if I scan.

Edited by RockDawg

Well the host file solution was very short lived.  It worked fine for 5-6 tries but now it says:

\\tower is not accessible... The network path was not found.

What a mess this is!

EDIT: the entry I put in the host file is now missing?  What the heck?

Edited by RockDawg
On 2/28/2020 at 4:37 AM, Dori said:

The question is if there is a problem with Windows 10 Home version accessing the unraid server

On the Win10 computer in question, type    winver     in the search bar on the Task Bar.   Get the WIN10 version number from the output.   Now type   Settings  in that box.   Select    Updates and Security   and then  View update History  and look to see when the "Feature Updates" occurred.   Did you get a feature update about the time the problem occurred?  (MS and WIN 10 try to make upgrades so transparent that many folks never realize that they happened!)

@RockDawg, A bit of a wild shot here.  Goto    Control Center  Then    Network and Sharing Center   Look in the left column for 'Change advance sharing settings'.    For each of the categories  (Private, Guest or Public, All Networks) select the options which give the loosest security settings.   (You might want to make a note of the original settings if you think you might want to revert back .)

2 hours ago, RockDawg said:

Well the host file solution was very short lived.  It worked fine for 5-6 tries but now it says:

\\tower is not accessible... The network path was not found.

may not help for this topic; but when that popped up for me I just put in the IP of the unRaid server and I was able to access shares that way, even though it wouldn't resolve the hostname. If it's a static IP you may just use that.  Ex: \\192.168.***.***

• JorgeB pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic
  • JorgeB unpinned this topic
  • JorgeB pinned this topic