Windows issues with unRAID

RobJ

First, please provide the details of your Window 10 install--   example; WIN10 PRO v2004.   (You can type   winver    in the search in the lower left corner of the desktop to find this information.

Next tell us exactly which 'footsteps' you applied.  No point in us suggesting all of the things that you tried.  

Sorry about that. Yes I can access the GUI.

My winver is windows 10 version 20H2.

The steps I have taken so far was going to TCP Ip NetBios and running that. Going to SmB and turning that app on. The only thing I didn’t do was delete the MSLicensing(which I am afraid to do as I don’t want to mess up my computer)

Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound like a noob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 minutes ago, Gman4life said:

My winver is windows 10 version 20H2.

Home, PRO, Enterprise, Educational, etc.   This may seem like a stupid question but each of these handles Network security just a bit differently.

By the way, Version 20H2 has been troublesome with regard to SMB access.  If appears that a lot of folks aren't having any issues with it but there seems to a fair number of folks who are.  The 'magic bullet' for 20H2 has been found yet...

Home, PRO, Enterprise, Educational, etc.   This may seem like a stupid question but each of these handles Network security just a bit differently.

By the way, Version 20H2 has been troublesome with regard to SMB access.  If appears that a lot of folks aren't having any issues with it but there seems to a fair number of folks who are.  The 'magic bullet' for 20H2 has been found yet...

Has or hasn’t been?

And you mentioned the recommended post , do you mean the one about local master? I didn’t do that but my windows pc is the only one that is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8 hours ago, Gman4life said:

And you mentioned the recommended post , do you mean the one about local master?

No.  This one:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-878167

You should first implement the changes on the first page and then be working backwards through this thread and implementing all of the suggestions to changes to the settings, edits in the Registry, and the Group Policy Editor.  As I said in the second post in this thread:

The problem is that solutions to SMB/Samba issues are more like witchcraft than science.  A solution that worked last week, doesn't work this week.  What fixes one persons problem doesn't fix the next person's  problem that appears identical. 

And be sure that you change these settings in the Control Panel:

image.thumb.png.1cc3614cf725a50e186febf0b06e68c2.png

image.png.703e2f957c2f859d5a7c575ce64af0cf.png

image.png.75e3123b2d121a37322cb4142c86decc.png

(I have set up my computer with loosest possible security settings in 'Advance sharing settings'.  It is not a bad idea for anyone with problems to start at that point to get things working. If more security is necessary, tighten security up later making sure that any changes don't break things.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 2:21 PM, trurl said:

Go to Windows Control Panel, Credential Manager, and delete any Unraid credentials so they can be renegotiated. Then, be sure to try to access the private share before trying to access any other share. With Windows, you only get one login per network resource and you must make sure that one login is the one needed for the private share. Windows won't use another login even if it prompts you.

Son of a GUN this worked, I removed the credentials and it renegotiated it and it worked !!! - Thanks. 

Today, I upgrade four (4)  Windows 10 PRO version 2004 computers to WIN10 PRO version 20H2 as a trial by fire since there seemed to be some issues with the 20H2 version of Window 10 with regard to SMB access. 

I had zero problems with any of these computers after the upgrade with SMB access.  Now let me state that all access was basically in the Public security mode.  I did map a share to a Windows drive and that worked successfully. 

Now, what is the point of all this?  Version 20H2 does not appear to have any real 'gotchas' introduced into it that did not exist in Version 2004.  This means that the suggestions in this thread for SMB access problems that solved them for earlier versions will also work for version 20H2.  So we don't need to be looking for some new security 'feature' introduced by MS that will have to be addressed when upgrading to 20H2. 

However, please understand that if you are coming from an earlier version of Windows 10 than version 2004, there may well be changes required when you upgrade to version 20H2!  If you have problem with SMB access after upgrading a working Windows 10 install, than work backwards from this post until you find the one that fixes your problem.  Apply each fix as you find it. And don't revert the setting if it didn't fix the problem!  It can actually take several 'patches' to get things working.  (If you are anal, make notes on everything you changed.  Then revert them one-by-one to check if that change is required---  In Windows 10, MS has many instances where different parts of the user interface to do the same thing.  Many examples of this can be found in the 'Settings' app and the Control Panel!) 

Edited by Frank1940
On 7/25/2020 at 8:12 PM, DoleWhip said:

TL;DR: 

1. If Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation > Enable insecure guest logons shows "Enabled" but it isn't working, continue

2. Open the registry editor and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

3. Double-click on AllowInsecureGuestAuth

4. Under "Value data:", change it from 0 to 1

After about 6 hours of troubleshooting this is the solution that ended up working for me today. I've edited the lanmanWorkstation parameters multiple times in my journey, but none of them worked. Not sure why editing it under CurrentControlSet didn't come up earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

This error always come up when I try to access the server through Network -> Server in explorer for the first time after my desktop PC has been rebooted. 
After that I have to wait a minute or two before I can access it. 

Can I somehow make windows initiate connection to the server at startup, so it's initiated and works immediately when I want to use it? 

I don't have the issue if I try to e.g. run a movie-file directly from transmission, it's only browsing that takes time. 

2021-03-06 13_20_03-Window.png

@tshorts, make sure that your server is the Local Master.  This is a typical symptom of the problems on SMB networks where the Local Master rotates through the various computers on the SMB network.   See this post for details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53023-network-trouble/?tab=comments#comment-519004

People with Local Master issues find that it is best to leave the server on 24x7.

Read the posts on the first page of this thread for more details about SMB and general solutions to SMB issues-- including how to assure that your server always wins the election. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

@tshorts, make sure that your server is the Local Master.  This is a typical symptom of the problems on SMB networks where the Local Master rotates through the various computers on the SMB network.   See this post for details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/53023-network-trouble/?tab=comments#comment-519004

People with Local Master issues find that it is best to leave the server on 24x7.

Read the posts on the first page of this thread for more details about SMB and general solutions to SMB issues-- including how to assure that your server always wins the election. 

Thanks. It's set to "Yes", and dynamix show it's local master (with server uptime at 20 days). I added the commands from your post and rebooted the server and it started up as local master. 

Clicked the server from my desktop and it was still fast (I "initiated" the server when I took the screenshot above and haven't rebooted my PC since). 

I rebooted my PC - and I got the error message again. 

It seems the issue is on the Windows-PC end, and not on the unraid end. Like SMB is idle until initiated or something like that. 

Edited by tshorts
5 minutes ago, tshorts said:

It seems the issue is on the Windows-PC end, and not on the unraid end. Like SMB is idle until initiated or something like that. 

Make sure that the Workgroups are the same.  Plus, WIN10 is not fully function when it first boots up, it does a lot of 'housekeeping' stuff in the background.  (This is part of the reason that it boots so fast...)  A test for this presumption would be to wait for ten minutes and see if you have the problem.

Plus, this problem is minor one as far as SMB headaches go.  (I have noticed that some SMB client/servers have very long delays before they appear on my computer after they are booted up.  This only causes a problem when I have to access one of them for some reason..)

29 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Make sure that the Workgroups are the same.  Plus, WIN10 is not fully function when it first boots up, it does a lot of 'housekeeping' stuff in the background.  (This is part of the reason that it boots so fast...)  A test for this presumption would be to wait for ten minutes and see if you have the problem.

Plus, this problem is minor one as far as SMB headaches go.  (I have noticed that some SMB client/servers have very long delays before they appear on my computer after they are booted up.  This only causes a problem when I have to access one of them for some reason..)

It's same workgroup, and I've tried entering the server many hours after pc-bootup and it's the same. And a few minutes after the first try it works (until shutdown or several hours, not sure). 

The network is there, and the icon for the server is there. But the resources unavailable. 

23 hours ago, tshorts said:

It's same workgroup, and I've tried entering the server many hours after pc-bootup and it's the same. And a few minutes after the first try it works (until shutdown or several hours, not sure). 

The network is there, and the icon for the server is there. But the resources unavailable. 

Was thinking. Perhaps it's just HDD spinup. Possible to have the indexing on the cashe drive? Or is it already there?

After you reboot, open Windows Explorer, left click on the 'Network'   image.png.7518ed121332afa801210cc7da0ab09c.pngin the left pane and see what comes up in the right pane and how quickly.  Do you see your computer in the listing?   What you so see when you finally gain access to the server? 

Do you share anything?  (Is your computer setup as a client server?) 

==========================

Now, let me tell about a little experiment that I jam doing as I write this.  I had four computers running on the network when I started this experiment.  All four showed up in the Explorer on my PC.  I started up two more PC's. 

First was a laptop.  Explorer on the laptop showed up five PC's.   My computer still had only four listed.

Next, I started up the home theater PC.  Explorer showed up all six computers. 

The Laptop still had only five listed.  (HTPC  was missing.)

My wife's computer which was one of the four computers on when I started this experiment showed up all six computers!   

My computer only still only showed up four computers (missing both the laptop and HTPC).

Now what was the difference.  What I surmise is that Windows Explorer has a memory.  When you first start Explorer after a restart, it remembers what it found on the network.  It will not look again until some internal timer tells it to.   These times are rather long. (See link below)  These times were setup back in the 30386-20MHz CPU was the King of the Hill! 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2003/cc737661(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Now having written all of the above paragraph, found, and pasted the link, I now have all six computers showing up in Explorer!!!!

As perhaps you can tell, SMB and Windows have more in common with Witchcraft and Magic than with logical scientific reasoning...

Edited by Frank1940

If you are having problems with access to SMB shares from WIN10 clients, you may have to read this thread backwards from the end.  But before you start, I would suggest that you read this post and look at the two links below: 

In doing so you will find several suggestions.  Two of them involved using Windows tools to change parameters in the OS.  One uses the  Registry Editor  and the other involves the   Local Group Policy Editor.   (You can find either of these by typing its name in the search box on the taskbar until the utility pops up in the results.)    Since some folks are reluctant to use these tools, it will be necessary to (at least) check to see if these variables exists on your Windows clients with the problem.  (The Local Group Policy Editor is not available in all versions of WIN10-- example, Home.)  

The directions for the Registry Editor is found here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-878167

and the Local Group Policy Editor is found here:

https://staging.forums.unraid.net/topic/77442-cannot-connect-to-unraid-shares-from-windows-10/?tab=comments#comment-715667&ct=1615419361

If either (or, possibly, both) of these parameters exist, check the state of the variable and enable them (if required) as instructed in the posts.    For all the dire warnings about editing these files, this type of change is safe since you are just changing the value of an existing parameter.   Just double and triple check the path to the variable!

If neither one exists, it should be added to the Registry by following the instructions here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/36159-solved-windows-10-and-smb/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-658025

The third items that you should check are these settings in the Control  Panel:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/89452-windows-issues-with-unraid/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-947157

These Control Panel changes tend to really loose up security of your Windows machine.  If this is a major concern for you, if making these changes fixes the problem, you can go back and turn them off one at a time.  (My experience has been that these Control Panel items tend to affect Windows-to-Windows connectivity rather than Windows to Unraid.)

One more request, you will get much better advice if you have a Windows SMB issue if you open your own thread in the General Support  forum.  It is much easier for the folks providing support to know that every post in the thread is limited to details about your problems and the things you have tried to solve it.

Edited by Frank1940

Last week I setup a new Windows Server 2019 (1809) VM and took a while to get SMB up and running, thought this would be applicable for Win10 installs also.

Most of these tips are on here so I won't go into great detail about how to do them, but I thought I'd post my summary of "from scratch" changes that got me from fresh install to connected to unraid via SMB.

- Needed for guest access

GPO: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Network\Lanman Workstation > “Enable insecure guest logons" = Enabled

- Needed for secure/private access... guest access to same server will block secure/private server access

As my username was different to SMB configured usernames, I added the record into Credential Manager (Windows)

- Needed to 'find' server

Networking: Ensure Network profile is Private

Turn on network discovery, if setting won't save ensure these services are running (in services.msc)

·         DNS Client

·         Function Discovery Resource Publication

·         SSDP Discovery

·         UPnP Device Host

Not sure if it matters, but my VM was also configured on br0 rather than virtbr0

• Like 1
On 7/25/2020 at 8:12 PM, DoleWhip said:

TL;DR: 

1. If Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation > Enable insecure guest logons shows "Enabled" but it isn't working, continue

2. Open the registry editor and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

Can confirm after looking over Lanman, Windows network password settings, workgroup, and SMB...
The above fix seems to fix the concerns 

For anyone moving forward: 

01. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> Lanman Workstation and double click Enable insecure guest logons and set it to Enabled.

(if required)
02.  Open the registry editor and go to

- Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

- Double-click on AllowInsecureGuestAuth

- Under "Value data:", change it from 0 to 1 

Edited by bombz
On 7/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, DoleWhip said:

TL;DR: 

Describing what I did troubleshooting-wise (not that it matters, but maybe it'll help someone):

I updated my Windows 10 Education to version 2004 yesterday and was no longer able to access my SMB shares (was working fine before Windows update).

I could see them, but double-clicking on my server name in Windows Explorer under Network gave me the generic can't access error. Luckily (because it helped me google my problem) I had pinned some folders in it, and trying to access those gave me the popup pictured in that preview/thread saying:

"You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network."

I was confused because my group policy under: 

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation > Enable insecure guest logons

showed "Enabled". Toggling this back and forth and restarting my PC didn't fix anything.

My unRAID server SMB settings had enabled for workgroup, enable NetBIOS to yes, and enable WSD to yes. My workgroup under those SMB settings matched with my PC, I even retyped them in holding down shift to capitalize just in case. Local master was set to yes, and I also downloaded the Dynamix Local Master plugin to check for me and it verified that yes, my unRAID server was indeed the current local master. Still not working.

I added:

log level=2

syslog=3

to SMB Extras and saw in my syslog that my PC was trying to send my local user to access the SMB shares (which are set to public) with errors along the lines of:

FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1

and that I was trying to use SMBv2

In the end, I found the solution in the linked thread to do this:

1. Open the registry editor and go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

2. Double-click on AllowInsecureGuestAuth

3. Under "Value data:", change it from 0 to 1 

Thank you so much, this was very clear and fixed my issue =]

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, AnnaJane said:

impressive array of pop-up blockers, ad-killers, spam-eliminators and so on.

Do you know how to whitelist your server for all of those?

There is no reason to block anything on the Unraid webUI, and these sorts of "false positives" aren't uncommon.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mean to be annoying, but might I recommend updating the title to clarify that this thread is specifically about issues with connecting to Unraid shares from a Windows machine. I only mention this because I often see the thread and it is not obvious (from the title alone) that this thread is not about Windows (VM) issues with Unraid, which is an equally common use-case/topic.

I personally think it would be helpful to make the title more clear/specific, but maybe I'm wrong and that is not actually a common point of confusion for normal people

• Like 1

Trying to figure out how to share my windows drive via samba to access in krusader, I feel like there's something I'm missing. If someone could point me in the right direction that'd be much help. It appears that my windows HTPC cannot be accessed at all. I cannot access my unraid server from the HTPC windows explore but I can do so from my other computers. It also appears that I can't access my HTPC from any of the other windows PC's on my local network. I have tried everything

I have been searching for a solution to this for hours but still can't figure it out.

My unraid server shows in the list of network accessible drives but when I attempt to connect to it get a windows 10 error saying that it is not accessible and that I need permissions to access the unraid server. (you might not have permissions to use this network resource.)

If I manually type in the IP address, it will open in the chrome browser but not in Windows Explorer.

SMB has been re-enabled

I have added the options to the group policy to enable insecure guest logins

Unraid Windows connect.jpg

@tommykmusic I'm no expert in this, but based on the message in that image I would guess it is either the HTPC share having a problem in its config/settings, or it is an issue with the user login stuff not matching correctly with what it is expecting  After re-reading more closely, I wonder if it is more of a network-related issue, since you said the HTPC does seem to be connecting to any SMB stuff in or out. 

If you want to explore the "user login" stuff, you might want to try manually adding an entry to the Credential Manager in Windows (if you haven't tried that already). Let me know if you want me to explain what I mean by that in more detail. I can try to take some screenshots and walk through that process if you want. (I doubt the "Credential Manager" thing will fix your particular issue, but there is not harm in trying)

Also a quick clarifying question: Is that a picture of the HTPC attempting to connect to an Unraid share, or a picture of another PC trying to connect to the HTPC share?