Unraid OS version 6.8.3 available

12 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Begin by connecting a monitor and keyboard up to your server and see what you see on the screen.

Thanks for all the replies.  I did this and I do not get anything on video.  I do have power, but not signal/display.

I put my USB stick into my main computer and I'm able to access it.  There are 3 folders that look like they were accessed the previous day: config, previous and syslinux.

Next step?

Edited by BrianB

some basic troubleshooting tips would include:

-Do you have the current bios for your motherboard?  It sounded like you were behind on unraid.  Updating unraid on outdated motherboard bios can cause issues for some motherboards.

-test your monitor on another pc to confirm it still works.  At a minimum, even if unraid won't boot, you should see the motherboard bios or some logo, something?  You should be able to enter your bios.  If you cannot do that, you have a server hardware issue.

-If you monitor is confirmed good and you can enter bios, see it booting, try booting to anything else, a different usb bootable OS, or bootable CD, another hard drive OS, anything to prove your motherboard is still working as expected.  If any of those are successful, then you need to focus on checking your unraid usb flash drive.  Like I mentioned, one of the first things to check is the file system on your unraid usb flash drive.  I use Windows 10 to do that.

-If you still get nothing, you need to focus on your server hardware, power supply, memory, and any addon pci cards.  It's likely that something has died, my guess would be power supply.

2 hours ago, optiman said:

some basic troubleshooting tips would include:

-Do you have the current bios for your motherboard?  It sounded like you were behind on unraid.  Updating unraid on outdated motherboard bios can cause issues for some motherboards.

-test your monitor on another pc to confirm it still works.  At a minimum, even if unraid won't boot, you should see the motherboard bios or some logo, something?  You should be able to enter your bios.  If you cannot do that, you have a server hardware issue.

-If you monitor is confirmed good and you can enter bios, see it booting, try booting to anything else, a different usb bootable OS, or bootable CD, another hard drive OS, anything to prove your motherboard is still working as expected.  If any of those are successful, then you need to focus on checking your unraid usb flash drive.  Like I mentioned, one of the first things to check is the file system on your unraid usb flash drive.  I use Windows 10 to do that.

-If you still get nothing, you need to focus on your server hardware, power supply, memory, and any addon pci cards.  It's likely that something has died, my guess would be power supply.

I would assume I don't have the current motherboard BIOS, but how do I update it when I can't get it started?

The monitor was working fine on my main PC--I pulled it over to the server to test it.

No, I do not see any BIOS whatsoever (no signal at all) when I power the server up.

I replaced the power supply and I still have the same situation.  I tried HDMI, VGA and DVI out of the computer and no signal/BIOS from any of them.

Starting to wish I hadn't clicked "upgrade."

What is the next step to test?  Pull the memory?  Disconnect the drives?  I already pulled the USB stick out and tried to boot, but nothing.

Edited by BrianB
2 hours ago, BrianB said:

Starting to wish I hadn't clicked "upgrade."

Unfortunately, based on your described symptoms, coincidental failure at the same time you happened to be updating/rebooting your unRAID. If you are not getting POST of any kind, then this points to your hardware/bios. At minimum when you start a PC you should get a post screen. If you are getting nothing on a confirmed working monitor, then you need to dig deeper. Firstly, pull your unRAID USB out and set it off to the side, you won’t need it right now. Your goal is to get the PC to properly boot, then worry about whether your unRAID works.

There are many things that could be wrong when you get a solid black screen/no signal. If your MB displays post codes, check your manual to see what they mean and follow the troubleshooting steps. If the MB is older and doesn’t have this feature (nor a pc speaker), you might want to look into the following….

BIOS – may have gotten corrupted (pull all power, hit bios/cmos reset button (if your MB has this) or hold in the power button) plug it back in and see if it will boot.

GPU – may have died, or gotten unseated while you have been working on this (try pulling it out and reseating, additionally, you could try it in a different slot). If you have another PC nearby, verify the GPU works by tossing it into the other machine to see if you can get a post screen.

Memory – reseat all, still nothing? pull all out, try each dimm one at a time in different slots (try to see if you have a bad dimm).

This is a process of elimination to try and find the fault in your PC. I think the above is enough for now, if none of the above solves it, let us know and we will try to go from there.

PS – Truth be told, I had a CMOS battery die on me once, and after a simple reboot it borked my bios and I had to reset like I mentioned above. With constant power, that shouldn’t be possible, but meh, tech stuff so…. Best of luck.

2 hours ago, ryoko227 said:

Unfortunately, based on your described symptoms, coincidental failure at the same time you happened to be updating/rebooting your unRAID. If you are not getting POST of any kind, then this points to your hardware/bios. At minimum when you start a PC you should get a post screen. If you are getting nothing on a confirmed working monitor, then you need to dig deeper. Firstly, pull your unRAID USB out and set it off to the side, you won’t need it right now. Your goal is to get the PC to properly boot, then worry about whether your unRAID works.

There are many things that could be wrong when you get a solid black screen/no signal. If your MB displays post codes, check your manual to see what they mean and follow the troubleshooting steps. If the MB is older and doesn’t have this feature (nor a pc speaker), you might want to look into the following….

BIOS – may have gotten corrupted (pull all power, hit bios/cmos reset button (if your MB has this) or hold in the power button) plug it back in and see if it will boot.

GPU – may have died, or gotten unseated while you have been working on this (try pulling it out and reseating, additionally, you could try it in a different slot). If you have another PC nearby, verify the GPU works by tossing it into the other machine to see if you can get a post screen.

Memory – reseat all, still nothing? pull all out, try each dimm one at a time in different slots (try to see if you have a bad dimm).

This is a process of elimination to try and find the fault in your PC. I think the above is enough for now, if none of the above solves it, let us know and we will try to go from there.

PS – Truth be told, I had a CMOS battery die on me once, and after a simple reboot it borked my bios and I had to reset like I mentioned above. With constant power, that shouldn’t be possible, but meh, tech stuff so…. Best of luck.

I did a cmos reset and pulled the battery and still no post.

There is no GPU.  The board has integrated graphics only and no cards plugged into the motherboard.

I tried pulling the memory and using one stick with no difference.  I swapped and reseated the memory and it still doesn't work.

The motherboard is an ASRock H97M Pro4.  I believe the CPU is a G3258.  The memory is 4GBx2 DDR3 1600Mhz.

Should I just upgrade it?  I only use 2 data drives and 1 parity (4TB ea) and case is a large ATX.

So...I'm looking at a Ryzen 5 3600 (~$225), GeForce GT710 ($50), AsRock B450M Steel Legend ($80) and Crucial DDR4-3600 2x8GB kit ($75).

Sound okay?  Too little?  Too much?  cheaper processor?

Thanks for any advice.

Brian

PS.  I take it I can just hook up the new components, re-insert the Flash and the system will be intact?  No data loss?

Depends what you want to do with it.  For a straight file server with a few dockers that'll be enough.  But add VM's and you'll want more cores and more memory probably.  If you want a file server and a game machine, you might be able to get away with just adding more memory.  I've also heard to stay away from the 'B' motherboards.  Don't worry about expensive memory or faster memory too much, it makes little difference, just get lots of it.

Also check the max memory in your motherboard, some of them only go up to 32 which is a bit limiting.

3 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

Depends what you want to do with it.  For a straight file server with a few dockers that'll be enough.  But add VM's and you'll want more cores and more memory probably.  If you want a file server and a game machine, you might be able to get away with just adding more memory.  I've also heard to stay away from the 'B' motherboards.  Don't worry about expensive memory or faster memory too much, it makes little difference, just get lots of it.

Also check the max memory in your motherboard, some of them only go up to 32 which is a bit limiting.

You're saying to stay away from B450 and B550?  Go for X570?  I only use the server for a single "direct play" plex stream or for music streaming.  It's not for gaming at all.  Are you saying I should be looking at 32GB?  I only had 8GB before and it seemed to work fine...cost isn't a big deal, but don't want to spend when it isn't necessary.

Thanks,

Brian

Sounds like for you B series is OK.  Have a google on b450 vs x570 if you want to know more about the differences e.g. https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-b450-b550-x570-comparison

If you buy your 16G and make sure it only occupies two slots, you can upgrade later anyway.

For a single direct play Plex stream this whole thing would be overkill - you could do that on a raspberry pi (just to prove the point).

1 hour ago, Marshalleq said:

Sounds like for you B series is OK.  Have a google on b450 vs x570 if you want to know more about the differences e.g. https://www.msi.com/blog/msi-b450-b550-x570-comparison

If you buy your 16G and make sure it only occupies two slots, you can upgrade later anyway.

For a single direct play Plex stream this whole thing would be overkill - you could do that on a raspberry pi (just to prove the point).

Yeah, I figured, but since it needs replacement (and I have the case, fans and PS) I might as well get something current.  I installed my RAM into a computer at work and it was fine, so it is either the MOBO or the CPU.  A cheaper CPU only seems to be $75 less.  Might as well go with the one I spec'd, right?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Brian