How to Direct Connect unRAID to PC with Melanox 10GbE while router is on 1G?

Hexenhammer

Hello,

So i have this question that I assume many people ask, I want to get cheap used Mellanox 10G cards and connect my win10 to unRAID that im building [all parts ordered except Mellanox cards].

The problem is of course like this: both the unRAID and PC will be connected to Switch or Router with 1G cards, but between them they will be connected with 10G.

So how do I make them "talk to each other" trough 10GbE instead of routing trough the 1G and the router?

Is this even possible or im out of my mind?

P.S. The cards in question are [Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT cards, any idea if they supported by unRAID, if tehre is driver for them?

P.P.S Possible solution to my question [Please dont throw eggs on me if its wrong :(]

Using different IP range and subnet for the Mellanox cards.

For example, if my regular LAN is on the 192.168.0.0/16 subnet, I can use 10.0.0.0/8 for the 10GbE cards.

On  Win10 open the Melanox card settings and manually change the IP address 10.0.0.1 and then do the same on unRAID Melanox card settings page 10.0.0.2.

Set the default gateway for the 10BbE connection on each device to be the other device (i.e. program the default gateway on the Win10 as 10.0.0.2).

Both the windows 10 and unRAID will be also connected with 1G Intels to my Router/Switch and their IP address will stay Automatic, by the DHCP server of the router.

This solution will be cheaper then buying new MultiGIG switch, even thou i have 10GbE on board of my workstation and have extra 5G Aquantia card [which my not even be supported by unRAID based on someones post on the forum]

Edited by Hexenhammer