Can't get UNRAID boot with i7 9700t

sonywong

Hi,

I got a i7 9700t and it seems this CPU isn't compatiblie with UNRAID (I used 6.8.2). I tried this CPU on 3 different motherboards and all failed at the booting stage (sometimes with error "end trace" and sometimes with "end Kernel panic - not syncing: Machine halted"). I also tried different flash drives and got same results. Since it couldnt' even boot, I couldn't find any system logs.

I've been using a i7 8700t ES version for a year and it works perfectly fine with UNRAID on these boards. 

Three motherboards I tried:

AsRock H310CM-ITX/ac

Asus ROG Strix B365-G Gaming 

Onda H310C-SD3 

I can ran Windows 10/7 without any problems with this CPU and these motherboards. So I think the CPU is in a normal condition.

Is there anyone using this CPU? 

On 3/8/2020 at 11:58 PM, uldise said:

take some Linux live(Ubuntu for example) and try to boot. then you can eliminate starting at which kernel Linux can boot your CPU..

Tried Ubuntu, MX Linux and Debian in the last couple days and the CPU can only boot with Arch Linux (this comes with 5.5.6 kernel). So I guess this CPU have some compatbility issues with Unraid or other Linux with earlier Kernels. Maybe I should try Unraid 6.9.0-BETA1 coz it's kernel has been updated to 5.5.8. 

To eliminate the chance of a faulty processor, I also ran Prime 95 for 24 hours on Windows 10 without any issues, so I think the CPU should be in good shape.

MVIMG_20200311_212812.jpg

You can run 6.9.0 beta and just wait for subsequent beta releases.

Alternatively, a forum member compiled customer kernel for Unraid 6.8.3 (stable) with 5.5.8 (same kernel as Unraid 6.9.0 beta) so you can try it at your own risks.

The first post on the topic also has instructions on how to compile your own (which is the best way to do it).

10 hours ago, testdasi said:

You can run 6.9.0 beta and just wait for subsequent beta releases.

Alternatively, a forum member compiled customer kernel for Unraid 6.8.3 (stable) with 5.5.8 (same kernel as Unraid 6.9.0 beta) so you can try it at your own risks.

The first post on the topic also has instructions on how to compile your own (which is the best way to do it).

thanks, will take a look