24 drive storage card for old server

I’m repurposing an old server for unraid. The drives range from 2 to 8tb, are are in a 24bay norco enclosure. Speed doesn’t matter much since it’s mostly for media archive.

I currently run raid 5 from a 3ware 9650se card. Should I get something else? If so what? Thanks!

32 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

IIRC those controllers have performance issues with Unraid, one of the recommended LSI HBAs would be preferred. 

Do you have any particular recommendation? Only found 8 port LSI boards, but a single card with 24 port support would be ideal

5 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You could for example get and LSI 9305-24i, but it could be much cheaper to use an 8 port LSI with a SAS expander.

Sorry, I'm quite a newb. Can you recommend a specific 8-port LSI and SAS expander? I'm concerned if I get an unsupported model, I'll have compatibility issues (which drove me nuts previously with drives keep dropping out randomly)

For HBA, any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

On the cheaper side for expanders you have the Intel SAS2 expanders, both the 24 (RES2SV240) and 32 port models (RES2CV360), another option is the HP 6Gb (SAS2/SATA2) expander.