Ubuntu Nvidia GFX Passthrough issues

Hi, I'm having trouble with getting a Ubuntu VM to work with my Nvidia GTX 760.

I am passing it through together with the sound card in multifunction mode and have also dumped bios and this exact setup works fine for my Windows VM.

When I first installed Ubuntu everything looks great using Nvidia drivers, the issue starts after I ran the first software update.

Then after reboot I sometimes get stuck in login loop where I can press CTRL + ALT + F3 to get to a terminal where the graphic is extremely broken with lots of strange colours and sometimes I get some unity window overlay and other graphical bugs.

I also quite often get to desktop but it's completely frozen and only thing that works is CTRL + ALT + DEL to reboot.

If I boot to recovery and just launch straight from there everything looks good and from what I can tell Nvidia driver loads fine.

I have tried Nvidia Driver version 340, 390, 430, 435, 440 and it makes no big difference (some seem to more often go straight to frozen desktop and some more to login loop screen)

If I install Nouveau driver everything looks good.

I have tried to set GRUB bootloaded to video=efifb:off with little success

I'm fairly new to this side of Unraid and I am completely out of ideas so does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get it to work with Nvidia drivers?

Thanks in advance!

• 7 months later...
50 minutes ago, Chenhan said:

have you solved this?

No I temporarily gave up my ambition to transition my daily driver from Windows to Ubuntu but have since then installed another GFX card so been meaning to give it another go and see if I can get it to work with a Nvidia rtx 2070s.