The Enclosure Thread

Blofeld

3 hours ago, opentoe said:

Isn't the Q30 like $8000 and the Rosewill is $250? I don't think air flow should be compared on two cases so different and priced apart, no?

No.  If you follow the thread further down from that post you'll see that when I last checked prices the Q30 case alone is about $2,000 (though that includes a PSU when I checked, which the Rosewill does not), the Rosewill is about $250.  (But yes, you can spend $8k or more on a Q30 that is fully built.)

You are correct that the Rosewill case has a set of three 120mm fans in front of and behind the drives.  This dual "fan wall" design is also used in the Q30.  My experience running both cases is that drives are signifanctly cooler in the Q30.

I think it is fair to compare features and performance of cases at different price points, particularly as this is "The Enclosure Thread," which doesn't suggest to me some cases and comparisons should be excluded.  I guess you don't.  You are, of course, free to hold that opinion.

You do get a much better case with the Q30.  The ease with which you can work in the case, the build quality, airflow, and rackmount rails you can get with it are all, IMO, much superior to the Rosewill.  For a price difference of $1750 these days, you'd certainly expect so.

Each person will have to decide individually if that is worth the money to him/her or not.  (And at $2k it's a _lot_, no argument there.)

Best wishes in your case choice.

Kevin

Of course we should include all types of cases, but just like many other websites when they compare the same products they divide them up like 'budget' - 'mid range' - 'high end'. I've seen so many monitor/display reviews like this ( since I'm trying to find a display ) and it just makes it easier to know beforehand the price points since ultimately the buyers budget would be at the top of the priority list.

I didn't see just the case on their site. I wonder how much their AV15 bare case would be? The 30 bay is $2k, so I would imagine the 15 bay one would be around $1k.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have just received this 8bay has case from china for £85

I went for the usb3 model & opted for their 600w PSU incase I want to run a beefy graphics card in future.

The case can take an micro-atx motherboard & has 4 low profile pci slots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003634995445.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.3e731802acixH9

Seems very good case but you do need PSU extension cables and may need some sata extenders too. I found the first 4 stretch enough but the last 4 are too short for the position on my motherboard.

Stock fans are whiney but I will probably change to quiet fans.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 01.35.21.png

Edited by dopeytree
  • 1 month later...

Hi, just looking to build up my 1st unraid server moving away from Synology.

@dopeytree
I was also looking for that housing, however, do not like the motherboard position on top of the drives. Even less, with your hints in regards to cable lengths!

I found this housing made by RGEEK Model: N8B

https://german.alibaba.com/p-detail/Nas-1600521260755.html

Including a 250W power supply with this link.
~200$ incl. shipping.

image.thumb.png.3afae0f07b09ceb0feedb96e779c2008.png

image.thumb.png.7bbaf50c92a420118d298e2ea81cfd9f.png

It looks nice.
Full seize PCIX slots
Motherbaord below the drives and the nice removable bay to house the MB.

Does anyone have experience with this enclosure?

Edited by Minion
  • Upvote 1

Full size pciE is nice!.

I'm quite happy with my case. I went with a MSI 560 mortar motherboard. Has 6 sata ports. 2x m.2 slots. 3x pcie's. Trouble is once you pop in a GPU you other pci slots slow down. If you use both m.2 slots the other x16 but actually x4 speed slot becomes a x1 slot!!! Just something to be aware of.

I think if I were building again I'd go for a rack case and full size motherboard either one of the Z range like a z590 or newer or go for a proper xeon cpu build. That way PCIe lanes wouldn't be a bottle neck.

s-l1600-113.thumb.jpg.42dec096c843aa91db93a6b62ee64a04.jpg

s-l1600-114.thumb.jpg.df9789aef9e2fc05534786fb11505b4b.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384267016819?epid=24037222601&hash=item5978195a73:g:e7AAAOSwp25iL3zi&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoHXYwZxyOfAb6ggaeqIpht5eD5hj8IGCAMx6ZdF8%2BdMXMb%2Bo9q%2FMrwDbK%2FRz1JQIEKFmcR7no6N9ZYxjGGPMFW29FBqfnxjjr8HQ51If1QHoLTWVs5rY6MMmx1AkrguSV27ZESnybskufjxeFJITiPYoXkXNiGfnMyzdk3rQsXvRemVQi8DRjj8G4Y58cwr5y7vUpzaiup6H%2BugV1TLjrro%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR_ztm6P-YA

Edited by dopeytree

Yes, also good looking solution. 

Sadly, no option at the moment to install in a 19“ rack. 
I want to replace a DS918+ and have to stick to a similar form factor to reuse the old spot with the new unraid based server. 

I will order one of the above mentioned enclosures from Ali. Hopefully it will be well built. The pictures look good ;)  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just got the new Jonsbo N2, pretty much perfect for what I wanted - a mini itx sized enclosure with enough space for my 3 HDD’s (can take 5)

It comes fitted with a hotswap backplane but I unscrewed and removed this to help with airflow. 

Really cool little case, can imagine these are going to be quite popular.

3319FDD6-C503-4A17-AAAA-26E913A2F2DE.jpeg

582F2291-F460-4193-9A7B-7E02A4AFCFE3.jpeg

B19C19FD-35BB-433F-B397-8361103AD82A.jpeg

• Like 1
On 8/22/2022 at 8:37 PM, dopeytree said:

Have just received this 8bay has case from china for £85

I went for the usb3 model & opted for their 600w PSU incase I want to run a beefy graphics card in future.

The case can take an micro-atx motherboard & has 4 low profile pci slots.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003634995445.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.3e731802acixH9

Seems very good case but you do need PSU extension cables and may need some sata extenders too. I found the first 4 stretch enough but the last 4 are too short for the position on my motherboard.

Stock fans are whiney but I will probably change to quiet fans.

Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 01.35.21.png

did you get this? Does this come with everything already? Motherboard, etc? So you just plug the usb into an existing setup and plug the drives in? How does this work exactly?

Thank you. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:15 PM, Blunt said:

Just got the new Jonsbo N2, pretty much perfect for what I wanted

This case is amazing and cute.  I have the black version. Strange there is no hype for it in the west maybe because it's so new. Tip:  If you buy it, also get angled sata cables.

On 1/30/2023 at 7:09 PM, wwe9112 said:

did you get this? Does this come with everything already? Motherboard, etc? So you just plug the usb into an existing setup and plug the drives in? How does this work exactly?

Thank you. 

They will supply a full i3 type setup on a MATX motherboard if you want - it will be very good on energy but limited upgrades in future as I think it only has 1x 16x pci slot. I wanted to customise mine so just went for the PSU & case. They fit the PSU for you which is good as it is tight space.

From amazon UK I bought a Intel 11-900t processor with a LGA 1200 motherboard with 2x 16x pci slots also has 2x nvme slots. So now I run a rtx a2000 gpu in the case this is the only halfheight RTX GPU out there. Also got a LSI card for an aditional 8x sata ports.

Hope this helps. I also changed the fans to noctua and connected to motherboard. The factory wiring is just have them spin high RPM all the time which is a waste & noisey.

Good case I recommend it.

I also fitted 2x sata ssds in base below the fan vents.

So my setup gives a total of 16x drives = 8x quick release sata 3.5 drives. 2x nvme ssds. 2x sata 2.5 ssds & another 4x sata drives external connected.

Edited by dopeytree
  • 4 weeks later...
Just got the new Jonsbo N2, pretty much perfect for what I wanted - a mini itx sized enclosure with enough space for my 3 HDD’s (can take 5)

It comes fitted with a hotswap backplane but I unscrewed and removed this to help with airflow. 

Really cool little case, can imagine these are going to be quite popular.

3319FDD6-C503-4A17-AAAA-26E913A2F2DE.thumb.jpeg.de8a37317a141afdebcca6577d8743f1.jpeg
582F2291-F460-4193-9A7B-7E02A4AFCFE3.thumb.jpeg.adbcd6fe45ca2dd49b4451f4061fa040.jpeg
B19C19FD-35BB-433F-B397-8361103AD82A.thumb.jpeg.63dd826308447e04bb40d493c85e59a8.jpeg

Want to order this one to compare with N1 which I use.
If they would same case with 2 slop pcie I will put all my money in ))
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone interested with Truenas Mini E+ and Mini XL+ case?

If I'm going mini-itx, this will be my ultimate case :D  

I know this is Ablecom brand, but cannot be purchased anywhere.  I've been looking for this case for the longest time.  If it's a vertical form factor, this is the best looking case for me.  Although I also have a thing for horizontal form factor, such as Synology 8 bays.

image.png.d37a2d7e8ea9c9a84dbb1c13d9ae0230.png

image.png.180b54eedca09707b289bea7f0d12899.png

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.1.3df3196aDVRCcB&id=546763335152&ns=1&abbucket=16#detail

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Jonsbo N2 seems to be much a better available miniITX choice right now in Germany.

Has anyone practical  experience  comparing it (ca. 150 €) to the apparent go-to miniITX standard Fractal Design Node 304 (ca. 82 €)? What makes it worth ca. 70 € more (if so)? Is the airflow / cooling efficiency better? Drive accessibility?

On 8/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, madmin said:

The Jonsbo N2 seems to be much a better available miniITX choice right now in Germany.

Has anyone practical  experience  comparing it (ca. 150 €) to the apparent go-to miniITX standard Fractal Design Node 304 (ca. 82 €)?

I don't speak from experience since I don't own either, but I'd agree with @ConnerVT.

Besides, hardly anyone building a NAS (especially the first NAS) would normally give a second thought or any consideration to "insignificant" details like restricted air flow, resulting in warmer than optimum HDDs temps.

When the Jonsbo is so cutely small, hot-swap and just outright sexy as compared to the old, boring and tricky to build Node 304.

1 hour ago, Lolight said:

Besides, hardly anyone building a NAS (especially the first NAS) would normally give a second thought or any consideration to "insignificant" details like restricted air flow, resulting in warmer than optimum HDDs temps.

When the Jonsbo is so cutely small, hot-swap and just outright sexy as compared to the old, boring and tricky to build Node 304.

Not sure what you want to say - Has the Jonsbo N2 maybe even a worse airflow than the Node 304? I am asking because I actually do care which has a better "insignificant" feature, airflow - after having hard third and fourth thoughts and research about it - without a clear result...

But since I am looking to substitute an even smaller Synology, there is no place in the shelf for a full ATX case... So I am looking for the (technically) best miniITX case.

Edited by madmin
4 hours ago, madmin said:

Not sure what you want to say - Has the Jonsbo N2 maybe even a worse airflow than the Node 304? I am asking because I actually do care which has a better "insignificant" feature, airflow - after having hard third and fourth thoughts and research about it - without a clear result...

But since I am looking to substitute an even smaller Synology, there is no place in the shelf for a full ATX case... So I am looking for the (technically) best miniITX case.

Well, I might be wrong, but IMO those who're generally concerned with elevated HDD temps (or wide temp swings) tend not to buy very small, hot-swap, air flow abstracting cases.

And yes, I'd say that the Node 304, in comparison, by the virtue of its design should have much better air flow properties.

From what I've gathered by looking around on the net (a couple Reddit reports) the Jonsbo N2 HDDs tend to have wide temperature swings when put to work, up to the 50s C which I consider to be hot.

The goal is to keep HDDs in the range of 30 to mid 40 C at all times.

And I'd say that constant wide temp swings have even more detrimental effect on HDDs compared to consistently elevated temperatures, say high 40s - low 50s C.

There's a local thread where the user claims to have very decent running HDD temperatures, which I remain skeptical about.

It wasn't mentioned if they were taking during a parity check.

Edited by Lolight
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, madmin said:

But since I am looking to substitute an even smaller Synology, there is no place in the shelf for a full ATX case...

How much space clearance do you have?

Have you looked at the mATX Node 804 which is also cube-shaped?

It's significantly larger than the Node 304 but not nearly as big overall as an average ATX case.

It's dimensions are aprox. 34 x 30 x 40 cm (WxHxD)

It's a very unique design, with an ample air flow that is specifically reserved for 8 HDDs.

They're installed in a separate from the motherboard chamber that is cooled by two 120mm intake and one 140mm exhaust fans.

• Thanks 1