Discussion regarding usage of fan controller and/or fan solutions

I've been using unraid for the last 3 months, and everything gucci except the lack of support for fan controls. 

Dynamix auto fan is not working out for me, and from searching the forum, alot of others as well. 

Currently im controlling my fan from my bios, 1.5*pwm/degree so it will remp up based on my cpu temps. Works well. But my hdd temps are more of an issue here.

Based on my research;

1. there is no plugins nor apps that can do fan control except dynamix auto fan control

2. We cannot pass fan header into docker/kvm to control is internally

3. We can pass a fan controller via usb header, but only via kvm, which has quite abit overhead. (In theory) im looking at finding a 2nd hand usb header fan controller to test it out. 

Anyone have any working solution that you can kindly share? 

Edited by FranciumF
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm even newer to unRAID than Francium, but this is at the top of my list of things I have to get fixed before I can really consider running my server 24/7 as intended partially because of noise (despite them being very good quality fans that run silently in my other PC) and also simple wastefulness. For me this is pretty mind-blowing in a good way, as I'm delighted that loads of stuff I thought would be MUCH more tricky to get working has been straightforward, allowing for my total ignorance just a month back. It seems a bit crazy that getting fans to react to temperatures should be so problematic, which is also the conclusion I've come to searching for answers in the forums.

I have two headers on my H97N board, one for case and one for CPU. The case fan is going at high rpm no matter what I try to change in the BIOS or the dynamix plugin, though I'm still experimenting. e.g. deleting and re-installing the plugin is my next step. Then playing with BIOS settings etc etc.

So I second Francium's question re troubleshooting what might be happening and possible solutions? Thanks :)

1 hour ago, awediohead said:

I'm even newer to unRAID than Francium, but this is at the top of my list of things I have to get fixed before I can really consider running my server 24/7 as intended partially because of noise (despite them being very good quality fans that run silently in my other PC) and also simple wastefulness. For me this is pretty mind-blowing in a good way, as I'm delighted that loads of stuff I thought would be MUCH more tricky to get working has been straightforward, allowing for my total ignorance just a month back. It seems a bit crazy that getting fans to react to temperatures should be so problematic, which is also the conclusion I've come to searching for answers in the forums.

I have two headers on my H97N board, one for case and one for CPU. The case fan is going at high rpm no matter what I try to change in the BIOS or the dynamix plugin, though I'm still experimenting. e.g. deleting and re-installing the plugin is my next step. Then playing with BIOS settings etc etc.

So I second Francium's question re troubleshooting what might be happening and possible solutions? Thanks :)

Currently im running my case fan via a molex powered fan splitter. So i actually physically control it to run at a optimal speed.