Update Unraid OS manual with zip file install

Hi there.

i am useing Unraid version 6.6.7 and want to upgrade to version 6.8.2 . 

in webui tools->update OS only shows the latest version 6.8.3 .

useing the Plugins/Install Plugin, select/copy/paste the plugin URL and click Install only gives the latest release 

i have downloaded the unRAIDServer-6.8.2-x86_64.zip from https://unraid.net/download

how do i procced in the most simpliest way.

from an old version, do I just extract the contents of the zip file to the flash drive with the usb flasdrive ejected from the server and pluged in to a computer?

will this overwrite some config files? 

brgds

so in this case, of all the files in the unRAIDServer-6.8.2-x86_64.zip only the ones below in root of usb flashdrive i require to extract and replace?

bzfirmware

bzfirmware.sha256

bzimage

bzimage.sha256

bzmodules

bzmodules.sha256

bzroot

bzroot.sha256

bzroot-gui

bzroot-gui.sha256

thanks for fast reply

14 hours ago, Squid said:

Curious why you don't want 6.8.3?

the WOL from sleep useing dynamix S3 sleep app stopped working when upgraded from 6.6.7 to 6.8.3 have been scrolling around the forums for a solution and some people find it working in 6.8.2. but this did not helped me .

Edited by TIE Fighter

so i get it working again by adding "ethtool -s eth0 wol g" into the go script in unraid_flashdrive/config.

as ref https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thread/68385-Problem-sleep-in-6-8-0/?pageNo=1&s=bac67e3f95623ffafcba60afe33e8744ece4ba97 

and the wiki for dynamix S3 Sleep app https://wiki.unraid.net/Setup_Sleep_(S3)_and_Wake_on_Lan_(WOL)

for info: to edit the go script file in unraid 6.8.x i had to set Krusader to run as 'root' accordning to this thread

now fully enjoying the new features in unraid 6.8.3 🙂

Edited by TIE Fighter
15 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Yep.

i followed your info and this did the trick, however i found that it has been created dulpicated of the folders

unraid_flashdrive

unraid_shares

unraid_unassigned_disk

is this something i can delete and how can i do that?

the original folders where named in capital letters

UNRAID

UNRAID_FLASHDRIVE

UNASSIGNED_DEVICES

pls to hear your reply 

You must have done something in your Krusader docker setup. Your Krusader screenshot by itself is not evidence that there are multiple folders on the flash drive. It is only evidence that there are multiple mappings in your Krusader docker.

Post your docker run for Krusader as explained in the very first link in the Docker FAQ in the Docker Engine subforum.

As suspected, you have multiple container mappings for the same host mapping. Each of those container mappings that are in UPPER CASE are also mapped in lower case to the same host path. You really should try to understand docker volume mappings instead of blindly following instructions.

If all you wanted to accomplish was editing go, you could have done that directly with the Config File Editor plugin.

15 hours ago, trurl said:

As suspected, you have multiple container mappings for the same host mapping. Each of those container mappings that are in UPPER CASE are also mapped in lower case to the same host path. You really should try to understand docker volume mappings instead of blindly following instructions.

If all you wanted to accomplish was editing go, you could have done that directly with the Config File Editor plugin.

thank you for the tip, reason is i did not touch the Krusader settings so it was not clear at first why this happened. 

2 hours ago, TIE Fighter said:

i did not touch the Krusader settings

Those are definitely not the default settings for the Krusader docker template. If you did not change them now then you must have already set them this way before. These things don't happen by themselves.

I think many people are initially confused just by the word "map" in this context. In more abstract settings such as mathematics, a "mapping" is just a correspondence.

Just as a place on a road map corresponds to a place in the world, a docker container mapping corresponds to something on the host. A volume mapping is a correspondence between a path inside the container, and a path on the host computer. Similarly, a port mapping is a correspondence between a port used by the container, and a port on the host computer.

You had set up 2 different container paths for the same host path in several places. You can see in that first screenshot you posted, for example, that /boot (which is the flash drive) is mapped twice. But what you can't really see in that screenshot is what it is actually mapped to. The "Container Path" text that appears below that is just text that you can edit and it isn't really used for anything except a reminder to yourself. If you click on the Edit button for that mapping, you can see the details for the mapping.

That is why I asked for the docker run command, because the screenshot didn't give all the information.

If you click on the Edit button for each of those /boot mappings you have, you will see one of them in lowercase and the other in uppercase, which results in 2 different paths (differing by case), to the same exact thing on the host (when you look at it within the container).