Help with 24hdd server with IPMI and ECC memory

Hi. 

I'm about to build myself a new server since the old hackintosh is not keeping along any more. 

What I`m interested in is a Asrock mb as I would like IPMI, a gfx for transcoding Plex streams and some CPU. Intel/AMD is not that important. Looking to have around 64/128 gb of RAM. 

I`m planing on putting this in a Xcase RM424 (24hdd case). So I would need a HBA card and cables to drive them all. Can anyone help me pick up some decent hardware, as I really struggle to navigate in the jungle of pc parts. 

1 hour ago, stian_90 said:

What I`m interested in is a Asrock mb as I would like IPMI, a gfx for transcoding Plex streams and some CPU. Intel/AMD is not that important. Looking to have around 64/128 gb of RAM. 

You might find this build thread interesting.  It documents a new build several of us have done in the last couple of weeks with the following components

• ASRock Rack E3C246D4U motherboard with IPMI
  • Intel Xeon E-2288G CPU (8-core/16-thread) with integrated GPU for Plex hardware transcoding
  • 64GB ECC RAM

If you want IPMI with an AMD  Ryzen build your only option is the ASRock X470D4U motherboard.  There are other Threadripper MBs with IPMI.  You will also need a separate GPU for hardware transcoding and a special unRAID build.  Ryzen based systems are a fine option working well for many.

Edited by Hoopster