Asus Pike 2008 Passthrough still an issue?

I'm referring to this walkthrough detailing how to reflash the Pike card so that it will work after installing another LSI card of the same chipset.

I'm currently running an Asus Z9PA-D8 with a PIKE 2008 installed, and am going to install an HBA with SAS Expander. While the walkthrough clearly shows that you can get around the issue with the PIKE card, I'd prefer to get a card that doesn't cause the issue in the first place. 

Furthermore, if it is an issue, does anyone know if it's only when you install an LSI card of the exact same chipset? (i.e. PIKE 2008 w/ LSI2008), or if you install a card with just the same firmware/bios (i.e. LSI2308)

Edited by gravyrobbers91
29 minutes ago, gravyrobbers91 said:

so that it will work after installing another LSI card of the same chipset.

Flash LSI HBA is not for above reason, just IT/IR mode more suitable for Unraid, Megaraid mode also work too.

If multiple LSI HBA with specific conditions , then you may manage (BIOS) all in same time instead individual.

Most time, you won't got problem if different kind HBA plug in same system.

19 hours ago, Benson said:

Flash LSI HBA is not for above reason, just IT/IR mode more suitable for Unraid, Megaraid mode also work too.

If multiple LSI HBA with specific conditions , then you may manage (BIOS) all in same time instead individual.

Most time, you won't got problem if different kind HBA plug in same system.

Thank you!

• 3 months later...