server crashing every few hours on 6.8.2 after hardware upgrade

Hey folks,

I recently upgraded my unraid server switching from an i3 to a ryzen 1600x i had on my main machine. After the hardware upgrade the system now crashes periodically. I thought it was an issue running the old install so I reinstalled unraid but am getting the same results. After going through the logs myself and seeing what else is being suggested on this forum the fix is probably to replace the cpu, but i wanted to get a second opinion before buying a new cpu. It seems to occur on both a sa fe boot and normal boot. Any thoughts from the attached logs? Thanks in advance for the help.

syslog

I experienced the crashing you describe with my Ryzen 1700X build. I applied the small fix to overcome an idiosyncrasy with the first generation Ryzen processors impacting Unraid.

You might find this thread helpful with more information about this issue. There might be other threads in this forum with a better explanation.

You might try the following. Shutdown Unraid, pop your Unraid USB flash drive into another computer and carefully modify the syslinux.cfg file to add a boot parameter "rcu_nocbs =0-11" The parameter "rcu_nocbs =0-11" would be suitable for the Ryzen 1600X CPU (a 12 thread CPU).

As an example here is my syslinux.cfg file containing the appended boot command appropriate for the Ryzen 1700X (a 16 thread CPU):

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append rcu_nocbs=0-15 initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append rcu_nocbs=0-15 initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest
syslinux.cfg lines 1-19/19 (END)

My Ryzen 1700X build running Unraid has been rock-solid ever since. I'm very impressed with Ryzen CPUs and Unraid. I hope you find this suggestion helpful.