VPN docker FOR VM network

I have a docker container named "pia" from docker image qmcgaw/private-internet-access. This works great and i would like to use it as my master PIA VPN connection.

As of 6.8.2 6.8.3, To use this as network in other containers i simply run "docker network create container:pia" and select "custom:container:pia" from the network dropdown. This is working well for me.

My question is how can make a VM take advantage of this pia docker container too? Is there an equivalent " --net=container:pia" option i can set to the VM/network config? 

I have already tried using Tinyproxy and ShadowSocks that are built into the pia container and connected to them with a W10 VM. It worked and had good throughput, but there were some things it did that didn't give me a strong trust windows was sending everything over the proxy. 

For this reason, direct (transparent) connection is a must. I don't want to use software installed on the VM OS or set the OS to use a proxy where either of them may leak. I want the VM's OS to see it as a standard VM NIC where all traffic will get tunneled to the pia docker container and out to the PIA servers. 

I'm thinking this would have to be done with the use of VLANs but i'm not 100% sure if needed or possible. Before i dive into this further I figured i better stop and ask. 

Anyone know how? Thanks!

Edited by taychive
edit spelling
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...