Balancing data when adding new drive

Good Evening fellow Unraid friends,

I am thinking of adding a 6tb new drive to my array. Currently running 2x3tb, 1x4tb. Running a 6tb parity and 240gb ssd cache

My question is I run a media server in my house and do not wish the new data to be bogged onto one disk. We may have as many as 4 streams going inside the house all watching different content. However, I dont want the new media being lumped onto one as i imagine that would be the most likely to be watched. Is there a way to balance the data across all drives and then clean any fragmentation caused and or is this worth it?

2 minutes ago, orybrad said:

If you are using the “default” settings. Unraid writes data to each drive based on the size of that file currently being written. Check this link out: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/48118-balancing-disk-space-among-sharesdisks/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes, this i understand, thank you for your reply.

I am adding a blank 6tb to my array. This means for the first 4tb or so it will have the most space. Which is where the problem lies.

This is just my opinion but I wouldn’t worry about it. I have 74tb in one of my unraid servers and I have never had an issue. I don’t know your hardware or how you use yours but mine I run 2 PLEX severs. One has 15 users on one account and the other 4. At any given time I can have 6-10 streams going at once and I’m transferring files along with all of this. Unraid keeps trucking right along. I have never had an issue with filling one drive up and it causing an issue with anything. Hope this helps a little at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk