Great $995 Intel MB/CPU/RAM Bundle on US eBay if Looking to Upgrade

Hoopster

22 minutes ago, kaiguy said:

I have this motherboard and cpu combo, but was severely limited by case clearance. So I purchased a lower-profile Noctua that does an adequate job but still gets pretty darn hot at full load. If I could have chosen any cooler, I would have gone with the Noctua NH-D15.

That is a monster cooler, I will need to check clearance, but it looks good.

Thank you

@Harro I had the same case clearance issue as kaiguy; my case limits cooler height to 146mm. 

Right now I have a Noctua NH-U9S CPU cooler (125mm height) but I wish I could use something bigger.

The E-2288G runs very hot at Turbo Boost speeds.  With the Noctua NH-U9S or the Be Quiet Shadow Rock TF2 I had before, keeping the CPU in the mid-80C range while under sustained turbo load is an accomplishment. 

For the 24x7 Boinc loads I have had it running for a couple of months now, I ended up disabling Turbo Boost and the CPU has never exceeded 55C in that time.

For running tasks such as HandBrake transcoding (I have my system configured to use QSV for that), I can keep the CPU in the mid 70s.  Without QSV, it will go up to mid 80s.

This processor really loves to consume wattage and produce heat at sustained turbo speeds.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

This processor really loves to consume wattage and produce heat at sustained turbo speeds.

So I am assuming that the larger the cooler the better off I would be. I may order the Noctua NH-D15 and hope it fits. Have my server in attic and will not break it down until combo arrives. 

After thinking about what you have posted I am wondering if my silverstone 750 gold will be enough power with all my drives and new cpu.

17 minutes ago, Harro said:

After thinking about what you have posted I am wondering if my silverstone 750 gold will be enough power with all my drives and new cpu.

I think it should still be enough.  In most cases, the CPU is consuming less than 100W.   Noctua claims it can consume up to 230W (that seems high) at Turbo speeds.

In this review of the E-2288G, STH states the maximum observed wattage consumed by the processor is 151W and that was in performance (Turbo) mode.

At this moment, my UPS claims the server is using 144W and the CPU has 10 of the 16 cores maxed out (but at non-Turbo speed).

I am using a 600W SFX power supply.  Granted, you have a lot more drives than I do, but, HDDs don't require a ton of wattage. 

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
32 minutes ago, Harro said:

I may order the Noctua NH-D15 and hope it fits

You do not necessarily have to go that big.

Noctua rates their coolers based on how much headroom they have for a processor at overclocked/turbo speeds.

They don't list the Xeons, but the E-2288G is basically an i9-9900K with ECC support.

Here are the ratings for various desktop chips for the NH-U14S CPU cooler.  It is much smaller than the NH-D15 but is still rated to provide the best overclocking headroom for the i9-9900K.

image.png.1f4c191c85c51a2d3bd571571529b272.png

Edited by Hoopster
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, learnin2walk said:

I also went with this combo. I'm interested in using the iGPU with a windows 10 VM. Is this possible? Do I need a second/dummy card?  @Hoopster any advise on this?

I don't have this combo, but a similar one.  Windows 10 will load and run fine with the integrated graphics on mine.  I'm using Windows RDP for most VM access.

The only downside is that that video performance is nowhere near bare metal.  Perfectly usable for Office applications, Internet browsers and totally fine for programming, but weak for anything where you need quick response from keyboard and mouse such as gaming.  The upside is that RDP will run over the network so no separate cabling for video or mouse.  For bare metal performance a dedicated video card for each VM is required, and then you need video and keyboard / mouse cabline.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, learnin2walk said:

I also went with this combo. I'm interested in using the iGPU with a windows 10 VM. Is this possible? Do I need a second/dummy card?  @Hoopster any advise on this?

Sorry, I do not pass through the iGPU to a VM.  I use RDP and/or VNC for Windows VM access as it is more or less just for testing.

There are many who do pass through an Intel iGPU and it is possible but I cannot offer any tips on this unfortunately.

Edited by Hoopster
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

Sorry, I do not pass through the iGPU to a VM.  I use RDP and/or VNC for Windows VM access as it is more or less just for testing.

There are many who do pass through an Intel iGPU and it is possible but I cannot offer any tips on this unfortunately.

Pass through of iGPU is not often done, and not required for most Win10 use via RDP.  Mine was not passed through.

8 minutes ago, tr0910 said:

Pass through of iGPU is not often done

Well, since there is multi-page thread dedicated to that topic and is over 5 years old, I assumed there was interest in passing through an iGPU and many were doing so.

Whether or not it is needed/required depends on the use case as you say and, so far, I have not found a use case for it.

9 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Well, since there is multi-page thread dedicated to that topic and is over 5 years old, I assumed there was interest in passing through an iGPU and many were doing so.

Whether or not it is needed/required depends on the use case as you say and, so far, I have not found a use case for it.

Yeah, same here.