Swapping Failed Cache Drive in Raid1 Pool

Hi Guys, 

I have 2x cache drives (m.2) in my Unraid Pool. I think one of the drives is failing as im seeing loads of warnings.

If the devices are in Raid1 i should be able to just power down the machine and replace the damaged drive yes? i will not lose any data? I expect i will just need to re-balance afterwards?

Or am i totally wrong with that?

Many thanks.

To make a direct replacement you'd need both old and new devices connected, which might not be an option with m.2 devices, you can still remove one device, convert pool to single, then add another device and reconvert to raid1, but before starting make sure your pool is redundant because of this bug, if you want post diags to confirm.

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

To make a direct replacement you'd need both old and new devices connected, which might not be an option with m.2 devices, you can still remove one device, convert pool to single, then add another device and reconvert to raid1, but before starting make sure your pool is redundant because of this bug, if you want post diags to confirm.

Thanks, 

I assumed Raid1 was a complete mirror so im surprised to learn you can't just replace one drive.

Mine looks fine here i believe - 

Device size:                   1.86TiB
    Device allocated:             62.06GiB
    Device unallocated:            1.80TiB
    Device missing:                  0.00B
    Used:                         53.68GiB
    Free (estimated):            926.11GiB      (min: 926.11GiB)
    Data ratio:                       2.00
    Metadata ratio:                   2.00
    Global reserve:               20.12MiB      (used: 0.00B)

Data     Metadata  System              
Id Path           RAID1    RAID1     RAID1    Unallocated
-- -------------- -------- --------- -------- -----------
 1 /dev/nvme0n1p1 30.00GiB   1.00GiB 32.00MiB   922.84GiB
 2 /dev/nvme1n1p1 30.00GiB   1.00GiB 32.00MiB   922.84GiB
-- -------------- -------- --------- -------- -----------
   Total          30.00GiB   1.00GiB 32.00MiB     1.80TiB
   Used           26.72GiB 120.50MiB 16.00KiB     

Edited by Urbanpixels

I did a quick test and direct replacement without the old drive should work, but you need to disable array auto-start, or array will start automatically with the single cache device (and convert to single profile) before you can add the new one, still this is not well tested so proceed with care.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

I did a quick test and direct replacement without the old drive should work, but you need to disable array auto-start, or array will start automatically with the single cache device (and convert to single profile) before you can add the new one, still this is not well tested so proceed with care.

I think I or someone else made a feature request years ago where autostart could be optionally (by default) disabled if any array storage device changes were detected. Does that sound familiar?

If not, I think it should be implemented.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

I think I or someone else made a feature request years ago where autostart could be optionally (by default) disabled if any array storage device changes were detected. Does that sound familiar?

Yes, I also remember asking for that on one of the release threads, IIRC it would need to be changed by LT since it's an emhttp function, it doesn't autostart if an array device is missing, but it does for a missing pool device, if there's a feature request for that might be a good idea to bump it.