Syncing two UNRAID machines.

1 hour ago, TheExplorographer said:

Couple of questions, does anyone else do this?  If so, what do you use?  And how did you set it up?

See thread below.  I have been doing it with rsync scripts automated via User Scripts plugins for over two years without any issues.

It took me a few days to figure out how to properly generate and make the SSH keys persistent, but, once it works, it just works.  By page 2-3 of that thread I had it all figured out. It is not as daunting as it appears from the first page or so.

The OP script backs up disk to disk, but since my servers do not have identical disk configurations, I modified it to backup share to share.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Hoopster said:

See thread below.  I have been doing it with rsync scripts automated via User Scripts plugins for over two years without any issues.

It took me a few days to figure out how to properly generate and make the SSH keys persistent, but, once it works, it just works.  By page 2-3 of that thread I had it all figured out. It is not as daunting as it appears from the first page or so.

The OP script backs up disk to disk, but since my servers do not have identical disk configurations, I modified it to backup share to share.

Well, I gave it a shot.  I open a console on server #1, verified and successfully added my remote server (on the same network)  Then I ran the command again but this time with actual folders and a single file to be copied and it connects with "receiving incremental file list" and just hangs there until I CTRL+C out of it.  Not sure where to go now.

22 hours ago, TheExplorographer said:
Well, I gave it a shot.

When I have some time (probably next week) I’ll see if I can whip up a quick primer. There are definitely some gotchas. Each server needs to see the other as an authorized host so you need keys generated in both directions and residing on the proper server.

I hope I can remember what I did two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hoopster
2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

When I have some time (probably next week) I’ll see if I can whip up a quick primer. There are definitively some gotchas. Each server needs to see the other as an authorized host so you need keys generated in both directions and residing on the proper server.

I hope I can remember what I did two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man, no rush and I really do appreciate the effort here.

Have you thought of using a VPN between the two servers? Then you could potentially mount shares via unassigned devices and make cron jobs that you could use with rsync. 

The main downside I can see here might be transfer speed with a VPN, which partially depends on the cpu's in both your machines.

7 hours ago, MisterWolfe said:

Have you thought of using a VPN between the two servers? Then you could potentially mount shares via unassigned devices and make cron jobs that you could use with rsync. 

The main downside I can see here might be transfer speed with a VPN, which partially depends on the cpu's in both your machines.

No I haven't. Initially I was trying to go with Resilio Sync Docker..but I cannot get that to connect properly without going through a really slow proxy.  Right now, for the initial copying of the folders I want to keep the two machines local.  After the base copy is done, one machine, will be moved offsite and just receive file refreshes and new files.  This is my hope at least.  I am NO linux pro at all..just a newb.  My experience is in Windows and MacOS environments (so I guess a little linux).  As far as code goes, php, cgi, I know my way around..but this stuff I am learning.  (And I am old...so the learning is slow)

Just run the SYNCTHING docker on both machines..  I do this and it works fine. They have to be able to reach each other but a wireguard connection should lbe able to take care of that ... Or another VPN solution..

I used to work with Crashplan, that works to but backupping to another machine was no longer free..

22 hours ago, Helmonder said:

Just run the SYNCTHING docker on both machines..  I do this and it works fine. They have to be able to reach each other but a wireguard connection should lbe able to take care of that ... Or another VPN solution..

I used to work with Crashplan, that works to but backupping to another machine was no longer free..

Care to share your docker setup for that?  I cannot get it to create or share folders. Keeps telling me that it has no permissions..when I can verify that it does. I am setting this up on machines with existing shares/folders.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, Helmonder said:

No problem.. 

Capture.PNG

Thanks. Yeah that is the setup that I am using for the docker.  I guess it is something to do with the actual program configuration from the WebUI.  When I try to sync a folder it tells me the folder already exists.  Any ideas?
image.png.a7031ffe96b81d2e57caf81de5ddca4d.png

Under Advanced Setting do I need to make changes to the Default Folder path?