Struggling.. What am I missing

neruve

Okay, so I'm new to most of this. But I've been working on creating a custom docker image. I have a Dockerfile that works and builds the image just from a base ubuntu image. Now that I have this Dockerfile that works. How can I use it in a template so the unraid GUI can manage/control it. I've tried dockerhub and I don't understand. 

Is it really not as simple as putting the Dockerfile somewhere and letting unraid do it's thing.... What am I missing. Why is this proving to be so hard. I would have thought building the Dockerfile would have been the hard part :(

Please someone, give me some guidance. Dockerhub seems to want to actually build the image. But I don't want that. I want it to work just like every other image I've got so far, you can literally see it doing to build on screen in the gui. But I can't figure out how to tell it where the dockerfile is in the template as it seems to need a repository.

10 minutes ago, neruve said:

Okay, so I'm new to most of this. But I've been working on creating a custom docker image. I have a Dockerfile that works and builds the image just from a base ubuntu image. Now that I have this Dockerfile that works. How can I use it in a template so the unraid GUI can manage/control it. I've tried dockerhub and I don't understand. 

Is it really not as simple as putting the Dockerfile somewhere and letting unraid do it's thing.... What am I missing. Why is this proving to be so hard. I would have thought building the Dockerfile would have been the hard part :(

Please someone, give me some guidance. Dockerhub seems to want to actually build the image. But I don't want that. I want it to work just like every other image I've got so far, you can literally see it doing to build on screen in the gui. But I can't figure out how to tell it where the dockerfile is in the template as it seems to need a repository.

You effectively have to publish onto dockerHub.  Otherwise you're going to be stuck using docker build commands locally and managing via the command line.

Just now, Squid said:

You effectively have to publish onto dockerHub.  Otherwise you're going to be stuck using docker build commands locally and managing via the command line.

Is there a way to only publish the Dockerfile to Docker hub? Basically, after it does all it does its a large container. but the stuff to download isn't that large. So just because the container is 1-2gb there is no reason to pull it all from that as the data is generated by the install.